Thinking about a Mini Split Heat Pump...

For my garage. Anyone on here done it?
Any A/C pros on here willing to come charge and commission the unit if I install it myself?

The garage is 2 car attached, no windows, no man door. I think a mini split is my easiest fix to make the garage comfortable for year round build projects.

I am using a stand-up portable in my garage for 7 years now. It is a 14,000 BTU unit, and in my un-insulated 2-car attached garage it works exceptionally well. My garage doors are insulated, and one window that was covered years ago. Exhaust for unit goes out of clothes dryer style exhaust vent with flapper outside to keep critters out.

Even in 95* heat, in about an hour, I can have the garage down to about 76 degrees in the middle of the day.

I investigated the mini-split route, but holy moly those things are expensive! Couldn’t justify it. Also have the benefit of being able to take this unit anywhere, so if the house AC goes out, or a family member’s AC goes out, this one comes in handy for sure.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Does yours have built in dehumidifier and drain? Where did you run the drain line?

I’ve been thinking about portables as well. Looking around, most are in the $400 - $600 range. If I go with a mini split, it’s closer to $1000, but quieter operation, heating as well as cooling, and about 1/2 or less the operating cost of a portable.

I’d like to make a decision this week, so keep the comments coming folks.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

I have a portable unit also, was using it in the old house upstairs where it would get hotter than Hades in the mid day. We bought a new house in lexington and it has a 24×30 insulated shop out back. I hooked up that little 10000 btu unit and installed a dryer vent for exhaust also. I ran it for about an hour in the mid day heat Saturday after I installed it and it dropped the temp from 102 down to 85 in an hour. I am pretty pleased about that.

As for draining, it doesn’t drain when it’s in a.c. mode, it sends excess humidity out through the exhaust. It does have an on-board catch basin for when you use it as a de-humidifier, though. Also it came with a length of hose and a fitting if you wanted to plumb it up to drain outside somewhere.

I just put it in my shop, but from what I saw saturday, it’s going to work nicely.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

I have a portable unit also, was using it in the old house upstairs where it would get hotter than Hades in the mid day. We bought a new house in lexington and it has a 24×30 insulated shop out back. I hooked up that little 10000 btu unit and installed a dryer vent for exhaust also. I ran it for about an hour in the mid day heat Saturday after I installed it and it dropped the temp from 102 down to 85 in an hour. I am pretty pleased about that.

As for draining, it doesn’t drain when it’s in a.c. mode, it sends excess humidity out through the exhaust. It does have an on-board catch basin for when you use it as a de-humidifier, though. Also it came with a length of hose and a fitting if you wanted to plumb it up to drain outside somewhere.

I just put it in my shop, but from what I saw saturday, it’s going to work nicely.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Mine is the same as far as drainage.

My neighbor bought a new unit, LG I think, and it has a constant drain. He ran it through the wall right next to the exhaust.

I’m very curious where you’re seeing a mini split for $1000 though…

Wadmalaw native

I’ve seen 12 and 14k BTU LG units online and a 18k Klimaire full kit all for under $1000.

The Klimaire unit is precharged and designed for DIY install.

Man they really have come down!

Wadmalaw native

I’ve got a 1 ton Samsung in my garage, works great. You can buy the no named ones for $500-$600, but are pretty much disposable. Stick with a name brand for parts and service.

Let us know how it works out, I’d love to cool/heat my garage.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Still mulling it over.

I have a drive under house. I closed in 1/2 and heat/cool the space with a mini split. We have temperature controlled storage down there now and more importantly, my man room.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Decision made. I scored a portable ac unit on Craigslist for a steal.

Quietside Samsung is the ticket. You really can’t even hear it running