thinking of buying a green egg..

Just wondering what y’all think about using the BGE for things like grillin steaks, fish or cooking chicken ect???

06 200 Bay Scout 150 Yam

For grilling steaks, she will go about 600 degrees, sometime I shoot air from my leaf blower through the lower vent and it will crank her up to 900 degree’s, just make sure your all ashes are removed prior to makinkg fire or ashes will go up through the grill area and get all over your steaks, sparks will be a firing.

For chicken quaters and wings, direct heat low temp 275ish 1.5 hours, Whole birds indirect.

Don’t even get me started on the Whole Beef Tenderloin. 45 min cook time.

Again, get the up grade Cast Iron Grill Plate for grilling, the chaep standard one that comes standard is ok for low temp grilling or in direct applications.

If you can swing it you will not regret it

My Uncle has one and swears by it. He is not one to boast or brag(probably because he is not an offshore fisherman). The meat he has cooked for us has been phenomenal . Me however, just got the welder working again and have an idea. More to come on that later…

I have had the egg for about 2 weeks now. I haven’t been Q’in for very long. I can tell you that I don’t know what I’m doing so I brought a digital thermometer. My first time doing a whole chicken and butt, 'twas (**() good. No BBQ sauce was needed on either. I plan on regulary doing ham, turkey, chicken, and pulled pork and never buying processed lunchmeat again. The good thing about smoking is you can go off and enjoy your weekend and not hover over the grill all day. I didn’t know about the steel keg, I don’t regret the 750 purchase though beings it more legit.

The only thing I dislike about the egg is it does not come with a cast iron grate, u must upgrade. Any more mainstream grills over 300 bucks have a better grate.

I cooked on my homemade Ugly Drum Smoker (google it) this weekend. Once loaded up and at 230 degrees, the chickens went on. 4-5 hours later, the temp was still the same and the chickens were nice and tasty. I closed off all vents and let it snuff itself out. Very, very little charcoal was used.

John

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro