thinking of buying a green egg..

i am thinking about buying a green egg cooker and wanted to get some opinions on it. i would primarily be using it for slow cooking… boston butts, ribs, etc. the appeal is not having to tend to it by adding more charcoal or wood, but i want to make sure that it still delivers the smokey flavor. would yall recommend it over a cooker that has a fire box on the side?

I’ve had mine over three years, beats all other cookers, smokers & grills hands down.

I guess first I should say that I have never owned or cooked on a green egg, but from what I have read on blogs, and from what a friend of mine has told me the green egg is a awesome cooker, I have read that some people are claiming to get up to 10 to 12 hours on a single load of lump charcoal which is more than enough time to cook a butt or brisket at 250. To get the Smoky flavor they just add the wood of their liking to the charcoal.

I have owned traditional smoker with a fire box and is a laborious time consuming undertaking that requires MASS QUANTITIES OF BEER and babysitting the cooker every 30 to 40 min. adding more fuel and adjusting the temp for 4 to 7 hrs on ribs, 10 to 18 hrs on butts and briskets. But with that said it will produce some pretty (**() good lip smacking food.
My vote is for the Big Green Egg.:smiley:

Thinking of getting one myself RN…What u hearing on pricing?..If I get one will probably get the XL size.

06 200 Bay Scout 150 Yam

i have a price list of the cookers and all accessories from a place in bluffton that sells them. the xtra large is $1050, but none of the sizes come with the “nests” or side shelves. the nest is $155 for an extra large and the side shelves are $79.99…

does anyone have any idea how these cooker compare to say the one that lowes sells? i think the brand they sell is a bayou classic. is there really a difference?

after i buy the nest and the side shelves, the cost difference is about $300.00 between the two…

RN…I think I can get one way cheaper that that…will let ya know by tomorrow.

06 200 Bay Scout 150 Yam

ok… im looking at the large though not xtra large… their price is $785 on the large, $80 for side shelves, and $145 for the nest…thanks

You should check this out FIRST…

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436&highlight=ugly+drum+smoker

Over 600 forum pages and somewhat 90 degrees off starboard… but… I am 80% done with one. Scrapped the idea of $800 on an egg.

If you like you can check out this site. Used it many times to get information about cooking BBQ.

http://www.thesmokering.com/

epc. The ones that require the mass quantities of beer, maybe not the best, but the most fun:smiley:

19’ Seapro 150 Yamaha
12’ Hydrocraft 25 Evinrude
If that’s all I have to worry about…there’s nothing to worry about.

You can also look at the Kamado Joe cooker, which is the same at the Big Green Egg. I getting one soon myself and will more than likely get the KJ. I have been doing a lot of research and it cooks the same as a BGE and costs a little less.

2010 Scout 221 Bay
250 Yammy VMAX SHO

Have had a big green egg for about 10 years,My wife bought it for my christmas. I told her she was crazy to pay that much for a cooker, she could have bought me 2 internationals! That was the best presant I have ever received! I use it atleast twice a week , winter and summer, I cook ab15# prime rib every xmass day, It is the best you have ever tasted! You can shutm it down and use the same charcoal 3-4 times, I think the more you use it the better things taste! If you ever taste a pork sholder cooked on one you will be sold! I dont know much about the knockoffs but I am sold on the real thing! There is a website of owners, ck it out!

RN- I have a large BGE. Have had it 5 years. I do not have a gas grille anymore- I quit using it the day I got my Egg. If you are looking for a slow cooker/smoker, the Egg is a great tool. You can “set it & forget it” and keep a level temp for hours. With a full bowl of charcoal, at 275 degrees, I’ve had a butt go 14 hours. Great smoker. I think folks get a bit nuts with the “it’s the BEST GRILLE IN THE WORLD” thing, but overall it’s a great tool for slow cooking meat. As far as smoked meat tasting better off an Egg than a standard smoker, or hell, even a Weber charcoal grille, that is a load of crap. Smoke will not magically flavor your pork better because it is in your BGE… Check out the forum section at www.biggreenegg.com & www.thesmokering.com for some good info.

i bought the large green egg last week and used it this weekend. its crazy how long it holds the temperature. it makes slow cooking/smoking really easy. i cooked two 4 1/2 lbs boston butts for about 12 hours, then wrapped them in tinfoil, then in a towel and placed them in a cooler for another 2 hrs. they were extremely moist and juicy. cant wait to try some ribs!

Amen Bro, my Wife gave me one for our Anniversary 10 years ago, it is the best present anyone could give for the grill/smoker cowd. Enjoy.

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Have had a big green egg for about 10 years,My wife bought it for my christmas. I told her she was crazy to pay that much for a cooker, she could have bought me 2 internationals! That was the best presant I have ever received! I use it atleast twice a week , winter and summer, I cook ab15# prime rib every xmass day, It is the best you have ever tasted! You can shutm it down and use the same charcoal 3-4 times, I think the more you use it the better things taste! If you ever taste a pork sholder cooked on one you will be sold! I dont know much about the knockoffs but I am sold on the real thing! There is a website of owners, ck it out!

I dont own a BGE or one from Lowes. I went to a cook out and the guy had a lowes brand. Food was great. The owner said he does it all with it and it was well worth the money.

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

For BGE people get the Ceramic Pizza Stone and turn it upside down where the Grill Rack would be, this is for in direct cooking your Ribs and Butts.

Also the Cast Iron Grill plate is definitly worth it for your grill work.

Try not to get all your accesories from BGE they are overpriced and many Generic items will work just fine.Cowboy Charcoal is just as good as the BGE brand also.

i got the dinner plate and it when i was cooking the boston butts. it worked great. it was nice to be able to use it to sit the drip pans on under the butts.

Had butts cooked on one for the Super Bowl this past weekend. The Q was incredible IMO

www.advoutdoors.com
“I have tomorrow open!”

Right, actually it is called a “plate setter”, I cook pizza on it, guess thats why I call it a pizza stone, my bad.

quote:
Originally posted by reel nauti

i got the dinner plate and it when i was cooking the boston butts. it worked great. it was nice to be able to use it to sit the drip pans on under the butts.