Thread Sealant?????

I’m doing some general maintenance on my boat. In doing so, I took the fuel water separator head off, cleaned and repainted it (next time SS and no aluminum). Anyway, I need some type of thread sealant to put the hose barb fittings back on and am not exactly sure what is best to use. Obviously something fuel resistant. Can someone help me out here?

Thanks.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Permatex Aviation #3

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

i use thread tape…
http://www.fastfasteners.com/website%20pics/pipe%20thread%20seal%20tape.jpg
i also use this on my drain plug for piece of mind…

quote:
Originally posted by sc_shark

i use thread tape…
http://www.fastfasteners.com/website%20pics/pipe%20thread%20seal%20tape.jpg
i also use this on my drain plug for piece of mind…

I use the same. Never had any leaks.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

-Benjamin Franklin

Malibu Stealth 12
94 J16 Carolina Skiff/2004 yamaha 25

You should not use teflon tape on fuel fittings. Just a matter of time before a little piece of it gets into a carburetor jet or injector.

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

PAT best their is!

Wicked fishing
175 CC Pioneer Bay sport
90 Yamaha 4 stroke

Teflon tape is for house plumbing! Use the Permatex like Cracker says! Permatex is made for fuel systems. I went to a speed shop and asked them what they recommend on the motors they use race fuel in, and that’s it!

The problem with teflon tape is that it works fine once, and no it won’t leak. But in a case like DF, where you later remove the fitting for maintenance, shreds of the tape are left in the threads, then when you re-install the fittings, guess where those shreds go?

Capt. Larry Teuton

Tried all 3 major auto parts store near me, not one had the right stuff. Oh well, guess I’ll get it back together and running tomorrow. Thanks all!

use google. you will find it somewhere. permatex is a common product. might want to try airplane parts store. just sayin

My local NAPA store carries it.

Capt. Larry Teuton

I found the aviation #3 at O"Reilly’s. Thanks Larry and everyone else.

Welcome :sunglasses:

Capt. Larry Teuton