Tiger Shark Encounter Freediving

Not too long ago I had a Tiger Shark encounter at 90ft freediving. Dove down and had it come in on me over a ledge. I swang my gun from right to left to block her advance. Then I jabbed it a few times and once it left, I shot a fish. Saw a Great Hammerhead that day too. So now, Im going to try and carry my busted gopro with me from now on cuz I hate fish stories.

One day I will be able to strike fear into their eyes w/o contact like this freak of nature.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5KntqXIO28

what in the?

King Fish
31’ Fountain

I see a few big tiger shark every year in the water while diving - many more at the surface while gearing up or changing tanks. With that said, I’ve never seen one while on a wreck and they seem to really stick to natural live bottom. They are all scary but the ones that I find really annoying are the ones that come up on you while you are mid water column. We had one start circling us on our 30’ stop during a late dive after the sun had just set. That wasn’t much fun.

That shark wanted to BIIIITE YOU!!

Set the trap boys, we going to pass through them again!!

Breathless, I got to ask…you are free diving in 90 ft, faced a shark, shot a fish, and still had time to get back up…LOL…how long can you hold your breath!!!:stuck_out_tongue:

Jordan you are very confused if you think sharks whether tiger or not seem to stick to live bottom. We have a healthy ocean. Sharks are everywhere. We see them everywhere and more on wrecks than anywhere else. If you think the few dives a year that you or I or anyone else around here does accounts for anything more than a very small percent of what goes on in that big ocean you are mistaken.

RibbonMan- kevins shark incident was on my boat and what he did was beyond impressive on that dive- he holds his breath long enuf to make me poop

I think Jordan was implying that we dive wrecks only. This Tiger shark was on a very nice piece of live bottom. I also was visited by a Great Hammerhead that day. Both were on the bottom. The Tiger scared me at first cuz I happen to look left and she was right there. Then I got REALLY pissed off. Lots of time and energy spent and I wasnt coming back empty handed. She swam away fast after a good poke somewhere above the gills. I then turned around to face the ledge. Then looked behind me one more time before I took aim. I came up and yelled at the boat since I didnt feel like fending off a Tiger with my lucky steak knife and no way to film it. The shark never followed me up.
Lately I have seen plenty of sharks. I think they are always around, you just never see them. (Fishnbarrels has proof of that with his sand tiger footage) Lately, I almost always see a shark on the bottom each trip. Wether its scuba or not. I guess the spots are just that loaded with marine life…

TheRibbonMan ~ If it were a test of breath hold, I could hold my breath till I pass out. Its all in the mind. A little interesting fact though. I was warned that constant 100ft consecutive freedives can get you bent.

~The moment of peace, right before drowning… The final release when I’m becoming one with the sea~

quote:
Originally posted by FishnBarrels

Jordan you are very confused if you think sharks whether tiger or not seem to stick to live bottom. We have a healthy ocean. Sharks are everywhere. We see them everywhere and more on wrecks than anywhere else. If you think the few dives a year that you or I or anyone else around here does accounts for anything more than a very small percent of what goes on in that big ocean you are mistaken.

Easy there buddy. I wasn’t saying anything about where or how you dive. I’m just trying to share my fun shark encounter stories like the rest of us and I appreciate you all doing the same. No need to get hostile.

quote:
I was warned that constant 100ft consecutive freedives can get you bent.

Not likely, but it can sure cause SWB, which could be worse.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats
Marine Surveying & Repair

Getting bent from regular freediving to 90’ with recovery breathing, not likely…

Getting bent from riding dive scooters to 90’ over and over with little recovery breathing. Very likely…

90ft over and over and over with little recovery.

The moment of peace, right before drowning… The final release when I’m becoming one with the sea.

My first thought was “SHOT A FISH!” with a nosy shark around. But I’m thinking that is probably the norm, so why the heck not. Cool story. Need pics next time, both of the shark and your face while you are poking at her! [:0]

Tidewater 196DC
Yamaha F115

Pungo 120

Spend some time with this sport and you’re bound to see them. Spend lots of time and you’re bound to have troubles. 99% of the troubles that we have are sharks wanting fish. Keeping your cool and keeping your hands out of their mouths is the key. The other 1% is when the *#!@ hits the fan. There is no rhyme or reason. There is nothing that prepares you for it when it happens. Be safe out there.

Stephen Goldfinch
“Sleep When You’re Dead!”

Spearfishing sounds like one of the most fun things you could do, but I’ll stay in the boat. Tiger sharks make me extremely nervous. My scuba instructor had his arm and leg bitten off by one while diving in the Gulf. He washed up on shore a few days later with the video camera still attached. And no, I’m not kidding.

Needless to say, my diving days are very limited now.

Bowtech Allegiance
Ruger M77 .270

when was the last time a diver was bitten off of SC? I think we have had only one fatality from a shark in the last 100 years. You stand a much greater chance of getting killed from driving to the marina than by a shark. But it would suck to be the “one” that gets bit.

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

I agree that statistically you have a greater chance of getting killed driving to the boat. Telling yourself that while a pack of makos nip at your fins while floating through the Georgetown Hole with a bloody stringer of fish… is another story.

Stephen Goldfinch

quote:
Originally posted by yellabird

I agree that statistically you have a greater chance of getting killed driving to the boat. Telling yourself that while a pack of makos nip at your fins while floating through the Georgetown Hole with a bloody stringer of fish… is another story.

Stephen Goldfinch

agree 100%

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.

www.fishhound.com

Wait did you eat it or did a shark get it?

I was over in the Ryukyu islands the other summer and I ran into an old spearfisherman named John Iwanic (Snubnose Pompano world spearfishing reord holder). He said, “Kevin, where are you diving these days?” I responded, “Charleston, SC.” His reaction… “You’re insane, that place is loaded with sharks!” I felt flattered as if I were getting the praise that Jaco Blignaut or Len Jones would deserve. Kinda ironic he mentioned the shark thing because when I got back, I found myself in a school of 20.

~The moment of peace, right before drowning… The final release when I’m becoming one with the sea~