tilapia bait and switch

Twice recently I got ripped off by ordering flounder off a menu and being served tilapia, one was a pretty nice place in Mount P., and I hate gooey sticky tilapia:dizzy_face:Anyone else, or is it just me?

How could you tell? What leads you to believe it was tilapia and not flounder? The only way I would know is if they left some skin on it.

Not trying to be a smartass, but I know I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference unless they were side by side and someone told me which was which. This is why we need the truth in seafood act passed for restaurants and fish markets.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Tilapia filets all look exactly the same, in both size and shape, then there’s that mouthfeel.I’m pretty sure its already illegal to sell Tilapia as flounder.We don’t need big brother here.I simply told the manager what happened and that I wouldn’t be back!

why post if you are not going to name the eatery?

Truth in seafood is a big deal. “Fresh off the boat” shrimp that actually means a cargo ship from Vietnam should be considered false advertising, especially when you consider the crap they put on that stuff. Tilapia is no better. It eats poop.

You should post the name of the restaurant, but be very sure of the accusation you’re making. I don’t know a lot of people that could tell a fried tilapia filet from a fried flounder filet with 100% certainty, especially if the flounder has been in the cooler for a bit.

I would not post the name unless I was 100% sure I was correct.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

How could you tell? What leads you to believe it was tilapia and not flounder? The only way I would know is if they left some skin on it.

Not trying to be a smartass, but I know I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference unless they were side by side and someone told me which was which. This is why we need the truth in seafood act passed for restaurants and fish markets.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

If you grew up and are used to eating flounder, it is not that hard to tell. It is my experience that flounder flakes into much smaller pieces than tilapia and tilapia is slightly firmer in texture.

This is the second instance I have heard of this happening.

I’ve never intentionally ate a tilapia, and don’t intend too, so I wouldn’t know what kind of texture it has. But I can usually recognize flounder:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I can only speak from the few times I have eaten flounder and that was in restaurants. Thats the one fish inshore that I can’t seem to catch. The ones I do are always too small, so it’s been a long time since I ate any.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

I’ve never intentionally ate a tilapia, and don’t intend too, so I wouldn’t know what kind of texture it has. But I can usually recognize flounder:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton

Yep.

Had a well known restaurant in Murrells Inlet try to pass that crap off as grouper once. We got up and left.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough
It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Years ago, my wife had ordered flounder and got catfish. By the time she got done with the waiter and then the manager, I almost felt sorry for them.

quote:
Originally posted by Bolbie

the harbor was slick as an eel pecker.

Every tilapia I have ever eaten tastes like fish feed. I wonder why? I do not knowingly order it.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

I would have been much happier if I had got catfish instead of tilapia! 
although I still would have been lied too.

quote:
Originally posted by mckee16

I would have been much happier if I had got catfish instead of tilapia! 
although I still would have been lied too.

what establishment lied to you?

If you know this to be absolutely factual you really need to name this place. Never be afraid to ask if seafood is fresh and local. A good restaurant has nothing to hide. That really goes for any meat and vegetables.

I’m 99% sure, but I can’t risk injuring a local business unless I’m 100% sure.For about a decade we often prepared grilled tilapia for our daughters.It was always the same, the size never varied.I stopped asking for bigger ones, there weren’t any.If just cooked through they had a gooey sticky texture.Flounder is richer in taste, flakes easily and is better all the way around.I’ll pay the extra dollar or two.

It happens more than you think, basa, swai, and pangasius all get passed off as other things most notably grouper, snapper, and flounder. No restaurants are running local shrimp right now, But I guarantee you that most of them will tell you they are local. Remember if that grouper sandwich is less than $24 you’re not getting grouper! Yellowbird a.k.a. Stephen Goldfinch and myself have been working on a truth in seafood Bill, But face opposition from the people that lie and cheat the paying customers. It all comes down to the bottom line,

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

I have a REALLY hard time with paying for seafood at a restaurant these days. I honestly am spoiled by being able to supply my freezer myself. Having said that
 I’ll buy seafood from Paul anyday. He runs a LEGIT business. I hope we can get that law passed, sooner the better!

“mr keys”

A couple years back we fell in love with Art’s Bar in MP, a relaxed blue collar spot.Their position is if Magwood’s right down the street don’t have shrimp, then we don’t either.

quote:
Originally posted by mckee16

A couple years back we fell in love with Art’s Bar in MP, a relaxed blue collar spot.Their position is if Magwood’s right down the street don’t have shrimp, then we don’t either.

with only one working boat,not sure how that plan will work.