TLD 15 line test for trolling the ledge

Got 50 lb test on the reels from tarpon fishing last year in Boca Grande. Will use the reels for trolling and want to put the correct lb test line. Reels will be used for Cobia, kings, and trolling for dolphin. Have previously used 20lb test but am concerned this may be to light for trolling the ledge. Current 50lb test has only about 200yards if that, im concerned a big fish may strip that right off. Any suggestions?
Also, what is the recommended drag settings. Understand the 1/3 line test rule. Curious what drag others are using for STRIKE?

On my 15s I use 20lb mono.

Fishb8 (Fish Bait)

23 Sea Hunt “My Last Boat V”

If you can’t stand behind our soldiers, try standing in front of them.

momori 20

OUR GOVERNMENT HAS BECOME THE ENEMY OF FREEDOM.

Yes, with only 200 yards, you will get spooled probably sooner than later. You can put 50lb braid backing and get a couple hundred more yards and scale down to 30lb test on your top shot.

Thanks guys for the reply. If I put 20lb on the reels, and set the drag to 7 or 8lb at strike, Ill have 450 yards to fight with. Does that sound like enough drag to get a good hook set and to fight a decent phin or hoo?

quote:
Originally posted by oneal

Thanks guys for the reply. If I put 20lb on the reels, and set the drag to 7 or 8lb at strike, Ill have 450 yards to fight with. Does that sound like enough drag to get a good hook set and to fight a decent phin or hoo?

That's plenty of drag if not too much for 20lb line (1/3 is 6 lbs), but you might want to think about upgrading your gear. You'll eventually get those fish in on a TLD 15, but prepare to spend some time.

I would suggest 65lb. braid, same diameter as 20lb. mono plus has more pulling power and no stretch which i prefer when trolling that way when the fish takes there is a good solid hook set.

Planning ahead to be undergunned with TLD 15s on the ledge doesn’t really make alot of sense in the long run but braid backing and mono topshot is the best option- gonna be hard to fight a decent fish on that reel and get it to the boat in ample time

Upgrade your gear TLD 15 is to light

Local Boy, Just having fun.

You now have a good excuse to buy more fishing stuff. Get some 25’s. I have 4 20’s that I use that I have yet to get spooled on. Had a 60 lb. hoo take about 3/4 though. A marlin would certainly do it. I have been wanting to upgrade myself.

15’s will work fine if you are float fishing/drifting/slow trolling live baits, but not enough if you are trolling lures or ballyhoo. You’ll need to move up to 20/25’s for that.

Pat Condon
www.ksamarineinsurance.com
(843)568-8559

Really depends on how far back you fish it too. If you have 300 yards of line on a spool and you are fishing it 100 yards behind the boat, then you are already a 1/3rd of the way spooled.

I have 15s that I troll ballyhoo and lures on. Never been spooled. I’m not saying it wont/cant happen, but it has yet to happen to me. I have 25s also, but I would not replace my 15s with 25s just because I might get spooled. Of course I don’t have money to through around like some people :slight_smile:

Fishb8 (Fish Bait)

23 Sea Hunt “My Last Boat V”

If you can’t stand behind our soldiers, try standing in front of them.

Agree with b8. I have a pair of 15s that I troll with on occasion. We have caught wahoo and dolphin on them spooled with 20# mono. Not ideal but fun none the less. Our record is a 76# hoo caught on a 15 - although he did have a second hook in him that was tied to a 25 :slight_smile: My two boys each had a rod and to this day they still fight about who “caught” the fish. Good times!

It’ll make a good story if you get spooled, though not as good as landing the big one on the 15.

I do like the idea of a top shot with some good braid under it.

BG