Toadfish Spinning Reels

Last week Toadfish had some sales going on. One of them was buy one get one free on 2pc spinning rods. I had been wanting to try these out ever since I came across this brand and for this price I couldn’t pass them up. I ordered them last Tuesday & got them on Friday, $165 with tax & free shipping. They look & feel really nice but I was a little concerned because the last few guides were smaller than I am use to. I was worried about my FG knot going back & forth thru the last guide. I tossed a reel on one that has 10# braid with a 17# Floro leader. It casted great so I took it with me Saturday, I really like it so far. I did not catch anything of any big size with it bur so far so good. Now I wish I would have gotten 2 more for that price.
Normal price is around $140 for one or $140 for a rod & reel combo.

Anyone on here tried the Reels out?

1 Like

So, first of all, great local company and great people - and they do a lot for conservation.
I’m a fan of their products. I have two of their rods and two of their reels. The rods are a great value for the money and very durable. I’m a bit of a rod snob so they aren’t the first ones I reach for but I have them to let my guests use because they are a real responsive, nice rod, and I won’t be heartbroken if they break. But they are very durable.

A lot of ppl don’t know this but the owner used to design reels for Shimano. The reels are legit. And they are sealed so they should last a long time because they aren’t getting saltwater in the bearings.

Hope this helps.
-Opti

1 Like

It really does. Next time I need a combo I may give them a try.
Only thing is the two I got are 7’-2" rods so they just do fit in t he very top 2 slots of my Rod Boxes, that was the only lengths on sale. When I bought them I wasn’t sure if they would fit but for the price I didn’t care.
If I do pick up any combos I will probably do the ones just under 7’-0".

Good info.
I’ve heard of them but never paid any attention to them.
Didn’t realize they were a local company…

2 Likes

Yep. A % of their profits go to oyster restoration.

1 Like

Even though most of my rods/reels have seen little action lately, this is good to know. I have seen some of their products but was unaware that they made rods/reels. I like supporting local folks if I can (just bought some local made Jig Heads).

Optiker,
How smooth do they reel?
Would you campare them to a Penn Battle or even better a Diawa BG or some other reel you are familiar with.

They are also a sponsor of Release Over 20.
We were running low on inventory ( hats, shirts, koozies, etc ) of theirs. I asked for a replenishment and I had a thousand dollars worth of inventory sent to us -including the rod and reel combo that we will be auctioning off during our next fundraising event in April.

They are really good folks.

1 Like

That’s great. Shows the company is in it for more than just making money, they truely care & are passionate about what they stand for.

I’d put them up there against pretty much any $200 price point reel. I’m impressed with them.

That’s great, think I’m going to have to give them a try next time I need a new combo.

So I put a reel on the 2nd rod I ordered. Ran the braid thru the eyes & began tying a FG knot. I kept tension on the braid & the rod as I always do when tying that knot. As I was almost done, the rod snapped at the 2nd eye from the end right at the edge of the wrap that holds the eye on. Well I was disappointed to say the least.
I went back on Toadfish site & pulled up the Warranty info. I took some pics & then sent the e-mail to them. Within an hour they contacted me & approved my warranty claim with no fuss or hassle. I feel like that really says a lot about a company that will stand behind their product & customers.
Hopefully this year I will be able to get out & give them a try to see how well they hold up.

1 Like

Nice to see someone stand behind their warranty with no hassles.

Great rods I use them in lower keys for all types of Snapper’s, not sure about reels, I’m Quantum man, just as good as a fenwick inshore elite, but lighter!