Took the morning off

Took a half a day off from work.
For a couple years another member of The forum and I have been trying to get together to fish. Wednesday morning we finally got on the water.
The mission will sheep head.
Not real productive. Only got one 1 . But it was a nice one.
The surprise of the day was a small tripletail.

2 Likes

cant see head or tail, and it’s the wrong time of year, but that looks like a tautog to me

how big was your sheep? i’m hoping to go saturday morning, been way too long

Nice! beats what i was doing yesterday. I plan on sheep hunting Saturday too.

good info. I see the difference in the dorsal fin.

Somewhere out there, Bonzo is wetting his pants right now…

nice convict!

we usually only see tautog in the middle of the winter this far south, as they are a northern species and migrate back up there when the water warms. odd that it would be here now, i know they are present up near Little River much more than here in CHS… just an interesting catch!

mind sharing the depth? feel free to PM or ignore if i’m prying too much. boss did his PhD on sheepshead in the chesapeake and said that even up there, the 'togs are only around in the winter months once the sheeps have left and gone offshore.

FWIW, i’ve heard they’re delicious and there’s no laws on them in SC… for next time :fish:

He was caught near the outside end of the North jetty up close to the rocks .
10 to 15 ft of water.

Wife didn’t go with us yesterday and I told her that we’d caught sheephead, tripletail, flounder and all. But after reading your post I sent her a picture of it and said obviously I misidentified a fish.
She said yep. She grew up in Rhode Island. She said they used to catch them all the time as a kid.
Excellent table Fair…