Top Water Weekend

Went out with Steelytom Saturday to our mid lake spot and caught my first top water stripers since probably 2003. That was so much fun I decided to run out yesterday in my john boat when I had an hour free in the afternoon. From 4:00 to 4:30 I got 3 stripers and 2 LM. Biggest was only 19, but still fun getting them on top. I was surprised to see them busting on top in the afternoon with bluebird skies, but there was a huge school of herring around. When the big school erupted, it was probably a 50-75 yard area. I hated to leave them biting, but hopefully I can talk my kids into running out with me this evening to try again.

you mean to tell me that tom taught you how to do that stuff? i am amazed. he usually just talks down to me and makes me hand him a beverage and stay in the back of the boat. nice report. i need to get my butt out there. the boat needs to get wet on the bottom.

Tom is a good guy, you just have to learn to ignore all the verbal abuse. He tried to show me how to catch a gar out of a school of busting stripers, but I was too busy in the back of the boat to pay attention.

Steve forgot to mention he got his personal best:

Wellcraft V-20 sportfish with a 200 Evinrude

Any bigger than that, and they pull too hard.

quote:
Originally posted by Steverino

Any bigger than that, and they pull too hard.

x2 There’s nothing more aggrivating than trying to bring a fish to the boat and having them pulling the drag and taking line back you just reeled in. I hate when that happens!!

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
FS90 Suzuki

he also said the big ones give him booboo’s on his thumb

Wellcraft V-20 sportfish with a 200 Evinrude

Got out with the kids yesterday evening and caught 5 on top. Big fish was 23. I let my son throw a fluke on his Zebco cause I figured he could get a hit with that. He had 2 on, one was a nice green fish that came off at the boat. They were swirling all over the fluke and just couldn’t grab it. The fish were scattered all over the mouth of the cove. At 6:30 the wind laid down and I could see big schools of bait moving out of the cove to the big water. Nothing hit those baits so we headed in.

Are you burying the hook tip in the fluke that your son is using? If so, with such a light rod and all he may have better luck setting the hook if the point of the hook is totally exposed.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
FS90 Suzuki

I keep it exposed, but he is only 5 and those rods don’t have much backbone at all. The kids reeled in the ones I hooked, so they had fun. He is a little wild with the casting and one back cast put the fluke right on my chest. I’m glad that one wasn’t a hook up.