Toyota tacoma reviews

Who out there owns, owned, or has experience with Toyota Tacomas? What is your opinion of this truck?

Neighbor may be selling his 2015 model soon and I am sort of in the market for a good used truck (any make). Prefer full size but not opposed to downsizing.

(BTW speaking of “Downsizing”, don’t waste your money renting that movie.)

j

I know I’d love to find one with low miles at a decent price. They may not be the newest technology but, a Toyota is a Toyota. They’ll last and the retain their value.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I have an '07 4 door with the V6 and TRD O/R package. Other than replacing a worn carrier bearing at 100k miles, it’s just been regular maintenance. It has 154k on it now. It pulls my Kencraft 210 around town and up to NC a few times a year, does a great job.

Awesome trucks with unreal resale.

Bought a new 2010 that was totaled in 2015. Paid 24 plus and got over 20k insurance with 95k miles. Have another 2015 and neither one has had an oz. of trouble…Knock on wood.

BTW, was looking for used when I bought the 2010, but they were running 17-18k with 80k miles or more one em…sheesh

Good luck,
NN

I drove a 2007 Tacoma for several years. The only reason I sold it is that I was moving overseas. Great trucks. That being said, I really think you should compare the cost, mileage, reliability, etc. of a 2015 or later Silverado. Chevy trucks really upped their game starting in 2015.

“You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” - C.S. Lewis

Great trucks unless you need something with a bed to haul something. Find a Tundra or a F150 if you want a 1/2 ton that will do work, but a Chevy if you want another car.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235

Great trucks unless you need something with a bed to haul something. Find a Tundra or a F150 if you want a 1/2 ton that will do work, but a Chevy if you want another car.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

I’ll have to argue with you on that. My 4X4 king ranch rides better than my son’s 4X2 1500.

The difference in price and gas mileage between a Tacoma and a Tundra is negligible when compared to getting a capable truck that can tow something of size and has a real bed on it. I have two friends at work, one has a 2016 Tacoma 4x4 crew cab, the other has a 2016 Tundra 4x4 crew cab and they get almost the same gas mileage. The one paid about 4k more for the Tundra, but he got a pretty good deal. That’s a no brainer to me.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250

I’ll have to argue with you on that. My 4X4 king ranch rides better than my son’s 4X2 1500.

Point taken, I have a F250 Platinum, it rides a helluva lot better than the Denali I test drove. Then again my old 2500 Laramie drove better than the Denali.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250

My 2000 Tacoma never gave me any real problems. A few cosmetic issues, but ran great. Always reliable. I drove it until last year and sold it to Carmax for 4500$. It only had 130000 miles. Growing family so I upgraded to the 2017 Tundra.

Karma is 360 degrees

Some got to win, some got to lose…

I had a 2003 regular cab (purchased new) that I put 150k+ on, had kids so needed something with a back seat. Also bought a 2015 4dr (purchased new also) but sold it in March due to having 3 kids now and didn’t really work with 3 car seats. They are great trucks, the only thing I ever replaced on the '03 was pads and rotors. It just depends on what you need. I am looking to get something full size now to transport the growing family.

15’ HIGH TIDE 40 YA

thanks for the advice folks.

j

Had a 4 door 2001. Best truck ever. Made in Japan and solid as can be. Wish I still had it. Bought a 2007 and it sucked. Made in US and had problems with leaking rear axle seals. Airbag sensor in the wheel. And the final straw was a defect in a gasket material that leaked oil constantly that Toyota refused to replace on recall because the entire engine had to be removed. They finally issued a recall 6 months after I got rid of it. They fixed the gasket issue in 2010 I believe. Probably worked a lot of the kinks out by then and don’t know anything about the new one except it has less power than the previous version.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I test drove a new one, it had plenty of power but it was a little small for me and my family. I personally found it uncomfortable and felt like I was in a box. At 6’2" I needed something else and went with a Chevy Colardo, not happy with the 4cyl but it will do for what I need. Wish I got the V6.

Double D.

I had a 2005 Double Cab Long Bed TRDSport Prerunner until about a month ago. I enjoyed it. I had U-joints go bad periodically. I’ve read that the long bed has that problem because of the longer shaft. I just got a Tundra. My Tacoma had 230k miles on it. I used it for hauling a 18’ bay boat from Greenwood to Beaufort for years w/o any doubts. I also ran a property management business out of it, so it took a beating inside and out. I would say it is stiff and boxy feeling like some others have said, but it’s a truck. The double cab was plenty of room for kids. Teenagers would fit, but it’d be a full can with 4 adult sized folks in one. The long bed was nice, actually felt longer than my Tundra’s bed. I don’t recall the specs to know if it was.

I had a head gasket problem at about 150k, the internet made me think it was a first year of a new generation kind of problem. Later years had a different gasket already. That and U-joints were all that I ever did out of the ordinary.

I think the newer versions look a bit dainty compared to my model year. The bumpers are smaller and it really makes the body look weaker to me.

I sold mine to my Dad for $4k, but I think I could have gotten as much as or maybe even more than $6k even in the worked-in condition it was in. I needed to get back to an interior I could take people I didn’t know very well to lunch in and my wife wasn’t letting me get her something new and have our Sequoia, so I got the Tundra.

BG

I have had about 15 of them over the years. Great little trucks. Driving a 2005 right now with 475,000 miles. Truck would sell in less than a week if I parked it and hung a for sale sign on it.

" It is what it is".

Bought a 2017 dbl cad trd off road late last year downsized from a 2009 1500 Silverado and I couldn’t be happier. It is less room but it’s only me and the wife and 2 dashounds now. Boat and trailer are about 3500 lb pulls it no problem.

Agree with almost all of the above, I get 17mpg. Mine’s a 2010 6cyl 4wd 6speed manual 4door (vvti has a drinking problem). The only thing I didn’t get was a full size bed, they don’t make that engine/transmission/body combo in anything but short bed. Hauls kids, dogs, boats, gear, itself out of mud, and DoubleN’s call on the used price is right on- really hard to find the 6 speed so we drove to a dealer in the NC mountains when it popped up.

It has a bed cap that increases the weight over the rear by a good bit, combined with hauling gear I’d like to stiffen it up… also really want to get it a couple inches farther off the ground, suggestions? I’ve heard you can put the Tundra Bilstein shocks in it, anybody know about this?

Just get the Bilstein adjustable shocks for the front Coil overs and then add a leaf in the back since you have extra weight. If you didn’t have all the weight, you could get 1.5" out the front alone with the new shocks and level it out for larger tires if wanted.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115