Trailer Tire Size Question.

I have a small trailer I am converting into a kayak trailer and will be hauling some yaks to the Keys this Summer. It currently has 4.80-8" rims/tires on it. I am planning on putting new hubs/bearings as well as new rims/tires. Should I just stick with the size currently on it or should I try to go to a 10 or 12" rim/tire?

Thanks

completely off of your topic, but I am planning a trip to the keys as well - are you getting your trailer registered? FL law requires trailer registration and as I read it is for all in state and out of state trailers so I think I am going to get it done. Mainly because I don’t want to get pulled over with the kids in the car on a 13-14 hour car ride. Where are you thinking of going?

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha

Key West Stealth 150 V-max (SOLD)

I have been dragging a boat down there for nearly 10 years and have never registered my trailer. Any cop worth a dang should either be aware that not all states require registration or when told should be smart enough to confirm that. Kind of like SC not requiring an inspection and sticker.

We usually stay in around Islamorada because it has everything we want/need but, this year we’re taking our son down to Boy Scout camp on Summerland Key so we’re staying down in that area. It will be a new experience for us as we’ve never stayed that far south. Not taking the boat for the first time ever, taking kayaks so hoping to do some yak fishing and some leisure paddling.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Tire size is fine. The length of the tongue is the thing I look at. How is the load going to be centered. Clearance to the vehicle is something else to look at.

There really won’t be much load, 3 kayaks, maybe totaling 250-300 lbs with gear (if that. Just thinking bigger radius tires may be better at highway speeds.

I would go with the largest tire/wheel combination you are comfortable with. Larger = fewer revolutions, less heat from bearing friction and less potential for failure.

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Praise the lord and pass the ammunition” -Howell Forgy

Those small tires will get hot that far an Interstate speeds. Go with larger wheels.

quote:
Originally posted by Island Boy

I would go with the largest tire/wheel combination you are comfortable with. Larger = fewer revolutions, less heat from bearing friction and less potential for failure.

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Praise the lord and pass the ammunition” -Howell Forgy

^^^^^
Those little 8" are really catching heck at interstate speeds. Use good quality wheel bearing grease and stay away from lithium based grease. Get an extra complete hub assembly to go with your spare, just in case.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I sell tires and I would get away from the 4.80x8. I’m pretty sure they only make them in bias ply, not good for interstate. I would go for at least the 12’s or 13. Something you can get in a radial

All good info confirming what I thought but, what do I know? Thanks folks!

I have a small trailer too that I’ve used for several years hauling my Gheenoe around. Mine has 5.20 X 8 tires on it. I’ve never had any problems, but have generally kept speeds under 60 and rarely traveled more than an hour or two.

If you decide to change to a larger tire, you’ll have to check the axle diameter. It’s probably 1", which is common on smaller trailers. If that’s the case, you may have to change out the axle, because you’ll have a hard time finding the hubs & bearings to fit both the smaller axle diameter & the larger wheels.

On my trailer the tops of the fenders are flush with the trailer deck. For larger wheels/tires the same springs could be used, even with a different axle, but now the wheels/tires are going to be higher than the deck. That means new fenders & possibly lighting & wiring changes if you have them mounted in the fenders. Depending on your trailer, it could be a simple swap or more involved.

It shouldn’t be a difficult upgrade if you have the tools & inclination to do the work but frankly, you may be better off finding a small trailer already set up with the larger tires particularly if your current trailer’s going to need modifications to make everything work as it should.

I had considered changing everything to larger tires on mine too, but the cost & work involved wasn’t worth it. I have the tools, and have done this type of work before. However, I only paid about $250 for the trailer new, and it would have cost me at least that to upgrade, so I’ve just stuck with the original tire sizes, which for my purpose & not having to travel on interstates is fine.

Good luck with it!:smiley:

anything wrong with the hubs you have now? 4 lug or 5? when you headed south?

‘87 Pacemaker 31’ SF
‘04 Renegade 29’ 2 225’s
‘97 Maycraft 17’ 40 hp

2" axle, plenty of clearance fo bugger tires. The 8" on there now are dry-rotted so for a few more $ I can upgrade to 12" and get a better tow. As far as I can tell, nothing wrong with the hubs (4 lug)but, towing any trailer for 12+ hours makes me nervous so starting out with new, freshly lubed hubs and tires makes me feel better. Going down in late June so plenty of time to get it rigged.

Going to Marathon in May. Might have some 13 inch 4 lug,i will check and get back with you. Check and grease old bearings.My old hubs have made that trip at least ten times and we load everything in the boat.Talk to you soon.

‘87 Pacemaker 31’ SF
‘04 Renegade 29’ 2 225’s
‘97 Maycraft 17’ 40 hp

Have fun Matt!

Avoid the possibility of a hassle. Get a tag.

http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=153993

John

Pathfinder 23 HPS

Couple of things to think about. First large tire is always better. Something from Gerald’s or Northern tool so that you have a better shot at something standard everywhere. Get a ca of the fix a flat, tire seal whatever and put in the tires, if not they will leak down. Second, get studs in the hubs, not a threaded hub. when this corrodes and it will, you can press them out and replace them. Coat the studs in a hard grease before you put them together. Third, go on spend the money and get a spare. Forth, SC is a none tag state. I wouldn’t put one on it, but good lights area a must. LED is the way to go.

For a kayak trailer you can get away with the smaller tires. But if you’re buying new ones, try to get the taller ones. I have a 13’ whaler that has the 8" tires. I go to FL a lot. They work. But the rubbers gets hot to the touch. I alway have 2 spares anyway. I’m sure the bearing take a toll too, but a light load would reduce risk of bearing failure.

As far as tags. I still don’t have a tag and I’ve been to FL with my boat dozens of times in the past 3 years. I’ve been followed to the ramp by a cop. He say I was out of state and turned around. He followed me about a mile first. and the ramp was on a dead end road.
I also got a parking ticket in Jacksonville for no tag on the trailer. it was $25. SC is clear about needing a tag outside of the state. You need the tag. It’s a matter of how much you’re wiling to risk it. For $10, I’ll have a tag from now on.

10% of the people catch 90% of the fish.

Just got 2 - 12" galvanized rims/tires today. Wanted to go with a radial 12" but the extra width wouldn’t fit under the fenders so I went 6 ply. Has to be better than the 4 ply, 8" tires that were on there. Now just have to rebuild hubs and make some modifications for the kayaks.

Check out the PSI on the side of your new tires. For years I always put 32 psi in my bias trailer tires. I have C rated and now put 80 psi in them. They seem to do better at interstate speeds.

If you ain’t hooked, you ain’t doing it right.
14’ Duracraft w/twin 25 Johnsons
http://www.myspace.com/myduesouth