Transmission Repair

I do most of my own vehicle work but I start to draw the line at digging into automatic transmissions. My fishing vehicle either needs a transmission overhaul or needs donated to kidney cars or some such charity. Who in the Charleston Area (preferably close to James Island) do you recommend? At this point, I don’t even know if I am going to fix it, but I would like to know what is wrong with it.

Narcosis

What is it in and what is it doing?

‘87 Pacemaker 31’ SF
‘04 Renegade 29’ 2 225’s
‘97 Maycraft 17’ 40 hp

What year/make/model is it? That determines where I recommend.

Carolina Skiff J14, 25 Merc
Hydra Sport 1800cc, 150 Johnson

It is a 1995 Caravan. Slams hard going from D to R and R to D. When in drive it shakes a little bit and I can hear it. No grinding or banging, it does sound like some type of rubbing. Only does it in drive. I don’t have to be moving so I don’t think that it is anything else on the front end. I replaced pretty much everything on the front end within the last year (both CV’s, hubs, rotors, pads…). I know it has a transmission leak. I have not dropped the pan in about 14 months, but I might do that this weekend just to see if there are shavings.

It was a free vehicle, so I am trying to determine if I drive it until it explodes, scrap it, donate it, or fix it.

Thoughts?

Raise the hood and put it in drive and reverse looking at the engine to see how much the engine moves. Sounds like maybe just a motor mount.

‘87 Pacemaker 31’ SF
‘04 Renegade 29’ 2 225’s
‘97 Maycraft 17’ 40 hp

quote:
Originally posted by mattc14

Raise the hood and put it in drive and reverse looking at the engine to see how much the engine moves. Sounds like maybe just a motor mount.

‘87 Pacemaker 31’ SF
‘04 Renegade 29’ 2 225’s
‘97 Maycraft 17’ 40 hp

^This

If it is internal to the transmission it is not worth fixing. Those transmissions are known for failure. If it’s still safe and drivable, I’d drive it till it blows.

Carolina Skiff J14, 25 Merc
Hydra Sport 1800cc, 150 Johnson

Both of you guys were right. It’s the motor mounts. I didn’t even think to check. Thanks guys.

Narcosis

dayum Matt. well done