Trapping an armadillo

You should call this guy

j

Never having trapped one before, how does the egg bait work! You just use a whole unbroken egg:question:

yep^

Thanks for all of the ideas people. I think that I might spring for a trap or borrow one from the county, I’ll say that I’m trying to catch a feral tomcat. I’ll move my boat and set up a funnel with boards that will lead to the trap. Should the egg be whole or broken into a bowl?

quote:
Originally posted by oyster cracker

Thanks for all of the ideas people. I think that I might spring for a trap or borrow one from the county, I’ll say that I’m trying to catch a feral tomcat. I’ll move my boat and set up a funnel with boards that will lead to the trap. Should the egg be whole or broken into a bowl?

Whole unbroken egg.

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Well, all this talk and no one will say how they taste!

Have given several to our resident Mexican. He says they are delicious. I eat most anything, but I’ve not been hungry enough to eat one. And everyone I’ve shot stinks… Bad.

as for sailfish’s comment on using a .22, I agree. I put 10 shots in one and it still struggled a good ways before kicking off. Low brass bird shot is only good at very close range.

They have a super duper jumpin gear when shot or kicked… 3-4’ feet straight up is common. I know you can’t do this in the city, but at night you can shine a light on them and put a pistol barrel behind their head, I don’t think they can see real good.

“Why Bruce?”

The things you can learn on here

Ha ha…Well said Pea.

Still think, you should blow it up:imp:

I don’t know anything about trapping them but, it must be a busy time of year for them as I saw at least 30 dead ones along I-26 going to and coming Charleston yesterday.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I would try to blow it up but the burrow is very close to my well. I don’t want to compromise that. Two households depend on that well.

oc

I use the 'Fire in the Hole" technique all the time. Three foot long, strong wide diameter hose & 1 quart gasoline.
Have a 5 gallon pail of water and a garden hose handy. During the day, stuff it down deep, pour in the gas letting a little drip out on the way for the fuse & light’er up with the wooden match toss.
I have never had to use the hose or the bucket of water, because it really does a slow burn, but I run it down the hole 3 minutes later anyway.

Keep a 9mm handy, because I had one that had a back door. A 22. will just piss him off.

quote:
Originally posted by sunbums

I use the 'Fire in the Hole" technique all the time. Three foot long, strong wide diameter hose & 1 quart gasoline.
Have a 5 gallon pail of water and a garden hose handy. During the day, stuff it down deep, pour in the gas letting a little drip out on the way for the fuse & light’er up with the wooden match toss.
I have never had to use the hose or the bucket of water, because it really does a slow burn, but I run it down the hole 3 minutes later anyway.

Keep a 9mm handy, because I had one that had a back door. A 22. will just piss him off.

Sounds like a true red neck operation! Could you please forward some pictures?

No, no, no poly. We need video!!!

I hit one with the car, it made a terrible racket when it hit. When I got to a gas station I looked under the car to see if any damage had been done to the front of the car and there it was…a huge bloody leathery chuck impaled on an undercarriage bolt. I tried to get The Warden to pull it off the bolt, but she refused…

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1- 22 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 18 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Next one I entomb, I will get photos at the least. You should see how I get rid of yellow jackets underground.
THAT is video worthy.