Travel With Bang

Driving out west for a job and then likely flying back. Seriously considering taking my 9mm. Checked the TSA rules and it appears that all you have to do is: declare it, lock it, and check it. Anyone have experience with this? Would hate to get jammed up trying to come home.

Narcosis

Maybe ship it back to an FFL before heading back?

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I don’t have first-hand experience, but I’ve read exactly what you described. The locking box, and an unloaded weapon, and the declaration are key. “I have a weapon to declare” is a better choice of words than “I have a gun”. I’ve also read that it is a good idea to print the TSA regulations and have them with you in case you encounter a TSA agent that is not familiar with the rules and procedures.

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

You’ve probably thought of this, but I’d check the law of each state on transporting a firearm in a vehicle. That can land you in as much hot water as flying.

quote:
Originally posted by Narcosis

Driving out west for a job and then likely flying back. Seriously considering taking my 9mm. Checked the TSA rules and it appears that all you have to do is: declare it, lock it, and check it. Anyone have experience with this? Would hate to get jammed up trying to come home.

Narcosis

That’s pretty much it. The biggest “concern” is the airline losing your “luggage” but that’s a risk regardless if it’s a suitcase or a cased firearm.

If you don’t already have one, I would recommend getting a high-quality TSA approve hard case (I like Pelican and SKB). Also, a good reference to have with you when traveling with a firearm is Traveler’s Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States.

https://www.gunlawguide.com/

These are the firearms laws for all 50 states and D.C. They aren’t the author’s interpretation. This is the actual verbiage directly from the respective state’s legislation as they pertain to purchase, transport, carrying…

I buy a new one every year and I keep one in the truck at all times.

God bless the “ignore” function.

X2 on state laws. They change with the border.

I have shipped a few guns for repair by UPS. If there is no change of ownership, you can skip the FFL step and ship it to yourself.

ZX

I’ve checked a bag on Delta with a firearm. Actually very easy. Make sure you separate the ammo from the firearm in your bag. As you walk up to the counter to check your bag, just say, “I want to declare a firearm.” Its that easy. They send you to another area for inspection and as long as they approve your locked case, you’re good. Ensure that your locked box cannot be pried open from the side. That’s the only thing they are truly particular about. They will not open your case. They will not inspect your gun. They will swab your suitcase good, but then you’ll be on your way. Easy peasy.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017