Troiling motor charger??

Hey guys I got a 55lb thrust minn kota riptide trolling motor and am not sure what kinda charger to buy for the battery? I know I want a portable one NOT on board but am not sure about which one of their 3 chargers i should buy? Any suggestions. Thanks

Minn Kota portable charger

Excuses? I’ve heard them all!

get one at wally world. i had a black and decker that quit after one year, called b&d and they replaced it. nice service,

jan

Been using the black and decker for around 5 years and no problems,its the digital ones from walmart.

I have the same trolling motor on my boat and I am getting ready to buy a charger as well. Any reason you don’t want an onboard charger? That was the way I was leaning and was wanting to hear your thoughts. Thanks

The best way to a fisherman’s heart is through his fly.

dub
i would think cost vs convienence. a portable can go elsewhere if needed car truck other boat. also yandina makes a combiner which i sorta like, charges while running.

jan

We use the Minn-Kota onboard charger and have been extremely pleased. We had an outboard charger on our old boat and it was always a hassle disconnecting the cables before charging. With the inboard charger you just plug it in when you get home and she’s ready to go the next day in a few hours. Since we have a 24-volt system, we would have had to recharge two separate batteries with the separate charger…the onboard charger is much more convenient and is specifically designed for deep-cycle batteries.

PioneerLouie
Pioneer Venture 175, Johnson 90
Summerville, SC

They both sound like they are good options. If I decide to go with the onboard charger do I only need to get a 1 bank charger since I have a 12V system. Thanks

Nothing wrong with on board chargers,what I dont like is they get beat on the boat ride and are exposed to the harsh conditions.Plus most people dont check the the water in their batteries with on boards until the battery has a problem.They both work,pick the lesser of two evils.

They all sound like good options. If I happen to purchase an onboard charger would I only have to buy a 1 bank charger since I have a 12V system? Thanks

If you get a 2 bank i believe you can charge you main battery and your trolling motor battery.

The main battery is hooked up to the motor and alternator. Would you still suggest getting a 2 bank. I appreciate your input because my knowledge of electronics and batteries is very limited. Thanks again.

i’ve had both and really prefer the onboard charger. I have a 24V motor and i use a 3 bank charger that charges all batteries in the boat. I use it all day and plug it up. When i go back out again it’s ready to roll with no work or trouble. I would probably not fish as much without the ease of it.

Jerolina: so do you charge your main/starting battery with the charger as well? If so, did you have to disconnect the battery from the motor?

If your starting/main battery dosent have a large draw the motor charging it should be fine,but its nice to know when you unplug the charger and leave the house ALL your batteries are charged.

quote:
Originally posted by cdub

Jerolina: so do you charge your main/starting battery with the charger as well? If so, did you have to disconnect the battery from the motor?

Cdub, I do charge the main/starting battery with the charger too. All i do is back the boat into the stall, lift the hatch and plug the cord in. When i get back to go out again, i check the charger bank for all green lights and that means i am 100%. I dont disconnect anything.