Trolling motor batteries- charging off engine?

Picked up a new (to me) boat recently with the following set-up:

Honda 225 with I assume a stock alternator. Below the port stern jump seat is 1 12V battery; under the starboard stern seat is another 12V battery with 0ff-1-2-both switch.

In the bow are 2 12V batteries, with circuit breaker and an on board charger that power a 24V TM. The charger AC outlet is under the bow step and I plug it in to my garage outlet to trickle charge.

Is it practical to get these bow batteries to charge off engine when running?

Too much load for altenator. Also Deep Cycle batteries are not best charged from a high output Alt. They are meant to be charged slow and low!

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. FISH 24/7---- 25 Grady w/ a couple of Gas Guzzling 175 Johnsons “O-SEA-D” the old “Havanadaydream”

Also, you want your trolling motor batteries separate from other electrical (12-volt) systems due to electrolysis problems.

what havana said

I’m now at www.teamcharlestonmarine.com

Thanks for the input! I’ll keep 'em as is; and see how it goes this upcoming season.

[quote]Originally posted by stickman

Picked up a new (to me) boat recently with the following set-up:

Honda 225 with I assume a stock alternator. Below the port stern jump seat is 1 12V battery; under the starboard stern seat is another 12V battery with 0ff-1-2-both switch.

In the bow are 2 12V batteries, with circuit breaker and an on board charger that power a 24V TM. The charger AC outlet is under the bow step and I plug it in to my garage outlet to trickle charge.

Is it practical to get these bow batteries to charge off engine when running?

Yes, I have this on my boat and it will charge all 4 batteries while motor is running. 1 cranking 1 house and 2 trolling motor batteries.

http://www.stealth1charging.com/index.html

unless you have optima batteries, it is a bad idea to charge deep cycle batteries from the high amp output of a large outboard

the Stealth charging system used by our Tennessee friend is proven technology that works with all kinds of deep cycle batteries …

it is very popular on the pro bass tours …

PK
does it do anything to lower the amp output on the alternator driven high amp charging systems on the new 4 strokes and motors like the optimax?

I am completely unfamiliar with the “stealth” system, just basing my opinion on the idea that its bad to charge a wet cell deep cycle battery at 40-60 amps per hour.

quote:
Originally posted by chris V

PK
does it do anything to lower the amp output on the alternator driven high amp charging systems on the new 4 strokes and motors like the optimax?

I am completely unfamiliar with the “stealth” system, just basing my opinion on the idea that its bad to charge a wet cell deep cycle battery at 40-60 amps per hour.

Chris, no it does not. I am running mine with a Verado 250 motor. It takes the excess amperage from the alternator and charges the batteries. Chris, call them and ask for Danny(Owner) he will be glad to go into detail about his product. I talked to him at great lengths before I installed on my boat. I have mine setup to charge batteries while boat is on the trailer and being pulled by truck also. This system is BAD ASS.

I looked up the stealth, and read all I could find about the science behind it.
seems valid.
I like the idea of short burst charging everytime you remove the load
makes sense.
I am going to look into the product a little more

Thanks, I’ll be watching!!

UT, how does it charge going down the road? Is it hooked up to the lights or something? Also, can you plug it to 110v and use it like a traditional battery charger?

Triton 22 LTS
225 Opti

this thread is a prime example of why this site was created (at least I think so :slight_smile:
personally I can’t wait to try out stickman’s set-up…hint hint hint…

And the sea shall grant each man new hope as sleep brings dreams of home ~ Don Cristobol

The Morris Island Lighthouse web page
www.savethelight.org

quote:
Originally posted by wstrickland1

UT, how does it charge going down the road? Is it hooked up to the lights or something? Also, can you plug it to 110v and use it like a traditional battery charger?

Triton 22 LTS
225 Opti

Wiring harness connected to Truck battery and 5 prog at rear of truck. Which connect to boat. It is hard to explain but works very well.

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72

this thread is a prime example of why this site was created (at least I think so :slight_smile:
personally I can’t wait to try out stickman’s set-up…hint hint hint…

And the sea shall grant each man new hope as sleep brings dreams of home ~ Don Cristobol

The Morris Island Lighthouse web page
www.savethelight.org

You can check out my setup on my boat. I live in Mt. P. I have meet you at Bessinger’s.

quote:
Originally posted by wstrickland1

Triton 22 LTS
225 Opti

Yes it is setup to hook into 110 also but in 1.5 years I never have had to do that.

Seriously Guys and Gals give Danny(owner) a call at link I provided. He will answer any questions and will even help with setup. He will talk your ear off. Sure great guy. Customer service is amazing. Also, Chris you should look into the product for your shop.

Thanks again!

Chris-please post your final opinion.

Bonzo- Debbie and I have been in NY and Charlotte for the holiday season. I’ll be down next weekend and boat show weekend. Have one minor trailer issue to fix and I’m good to go.

quote:
Originally posted by stickman

Thanks again!

Chris-please post your final opinion.

Bonzo- Debbie and I have been in NY and Charlotte for the holiday season. I’ll be down next weekend and boat show weekend. Have one minor trailer issue to fix and I’m good to go.

When it town let me know if you would like to see the setup on my boat.