Trolling Motor Battery

Battery for the trolling motor finally died and looking for some advice on replacement. Is it worth the extra $$ for the higher end, i.e. Optima or will any basic marine battery do the trick.

I would think that because a battery for a trolling motor is constantly being drained and recharged as opposed to just needing high cold cranking amps for a motor, the higher end battery would hold up better and last longer…but I may just have fallen into the trap of good marketing.

I HAVE A I PILOT 80LB THRUST I USE 2 AC DELCO MARINE DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES. IF YOU LIVE IN CHARLESTON GO BY PARKS AUTO PARTS THEY KEEP THEN IN STOCK .

This question will get 100 different answers based on personal experience and opinion…here’s mine:

Had a brand new Optima blue top go bad in 3 months, and store and Optima would not warranty it because it was used in salt water, so they’re out.
Had a brand new Die Hard deep cycle battery start leaking…Sears replaced it and it worked fine for 2 years.
Replaced with an auto zone special, Duralast GOLD, worked great for a couple of years and died. Took it back and they replaced it no questions asked…

Had to buy a battery for my truck, guess what went in it? Yep, a Duralast.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Interstate batteries at Northern Tool. A little cheaper than the actual Interstate store and has a better warranty. The guy at the Interstate store even suggested that to me. They sell them to Northern so I guess there’s no love lost. Leadenwahboy is correct though, opinions will differ tremendously.

Fishing Nerd

“you win some, you lose some…but nothing beats getting some!”

I think the most important thing is to make sure you get Deep Cycle batteries, and be sure to take care of them (store them charged, don’t discharge them all the way if you can help it, etc).

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18, 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX
Malibu X-Factor Kayak

No matter what you decide, a good on-board charger that conditions the batteries and keeps them fully charged will help extend the life of the batteries. I keep mine plugged in when not in use and it seems to make a difference.

“Kleenex, The Official Sponsor of Fishb8”

Same here Lee, after some HARD LESSONS I installed 4 bank charger
and leave on 24/7 , batteries always ready to go…:slightly_smiling_face:

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

I’ve had good luck with the Interstate Group 31’s. I use them for 2 years in the boat and then put them in my dump truck!

Had to replace my (2) 27 group batteries 2 years ago. Learned then that failure to recharge immediately after use will kill them fast. Got an on board 3 bank charger and plug 'em up after every trip. So far so good.

16’ High Tide Flats (Green) w/Yamaha 90
Wilderness Ride 135
Wilderness Tarpon 120

As much as I am not a fan of Wally World, I have had very good luck with their marine batteries. I believe they are made by Johnson Controls who also makes Interstate batteries.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I’ve also had very good luck with Walmart deep cycle marine batteries.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by pitviper0404

No matter what you decide, a good on-board charger that conditions the batteries and keeps them fully charged will help extend the life of the batteries. I keep mine plugged in when not in use and it seems to make a difference.

“Kleenex, The Official Sponsor of Fishb8”

I think that may have been the demise of the current battery, I have an onboard charger/conditioner, but failed to plug it in after every use and leave it pluged in when the boat was sitting.

17’ Hewes Stalker

FYI - I had an onboard charger that I would leave plugged in after I used my TM. Like them all, it was supposed to charge the batteries and then switch to “Maintenance Mode” when the batteries were charged. It would charge them, say it was in MM, but in reality it was malfunctioning and continuing to charge the batteries. So the batteries began to boil and acid leaked out, ran into an access hatch that was behind the batteries and above the fuel cell. The acid ate pin holes in the top of my fuel cell. Had no idea it was doing this and began smelling gasoline vapors coming from somewhere.

Hence, I was riding around on a f’ng bomb! Keep in mind all this is in a flats style boat so space is so limited and everything tucked in so tightly, you just cant lift hatches, get to access plates etc to just check on things. Working on anything in a flats boat is an ordeal. Especially for old guys…

So, I unplug my (new) charger after the batteries have been topped off. If I’ve gone a little while without using them I’ll plug in for overnight or so, but I don’t plug it in and walk away until next time…

And I have new West Marine Group 27 AGM’s and like them so far.