Trolling plugs for kings

Might troll some Manns stretch lures around the shipping channel.
Plan on using TLD 25’s on roller rods, same set up we use for dolphin. Question is, what should the terminal tackle be from the ballbearing swivel to the plug? Can I just run about 10 feet of 50 lb flouro direct to the plug? Thx

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau

quote:
Originally posted by bonecrusher

Might troll some Manns stretch lures around the shipping channel.
Plan on using TLD 25’s on roller rods, same set up we use for dolphin. Question is, what should the terminal tackle be from the ballbearing swivel to the plug? Can I just run about 10 feet of 50 lb flouro direct to the plug? Thx

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau

That’s more or less the rig I use but with some wire at the end to protect against all of those teeth. How did you do?

Sea Fox 186 Commander

Some say you get more hits on mono but I don’t like losing expensive plugs and it will happen sometime. Same with Wahoo, especially those $45 plugs.

2005 Sea Hunt 212 Triton
“Head East”

We went out Sun AM with the idea to run n gun for Spanish and then troll for kings. Got outside the jetties, about 7 AM, headed N, no birds, nothing. Went out to the nearshore reef, put in some clark spoons about 15 feet behind trolling spoons…nothing. Headed back towards the jetties and then south…nothing. Went back towards the shipping channel, switched up to big Mann’s Stretch 25 plugs to try for kings…nothing. Decided to try and increase our chances by catching breakfast at Tavern n Table so started heading in still trolling the plugs through the jetties in 50 ft. Then…BAM! Zinnnggggggg…I’m hollering “That’s a king!”…ran like a king, acted like a king… finally get him to the boat…and it’s a big bull red.
Really surprised we didn’t see any birds working or any signs of Spanish.

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau