Trolling the Harbor Shipping Channel

Talked with the guys down at Haddrels in WA about trolling the shipping channel in the harbor out to the end of the jetties. Gave it a try today with my downriggers and didn’t even get a bump using plugs and spoons. Finally anchored up below Pinckney and went 2-3 on Spanish and Ladyfish. Caught my first Spanish. Might try trolling without the downriggers for Spanish since they hit in 7 ft of water where I was anchored.

The Arsenal: 17’ home-built jet sled, 1996 F-350 Powerstroke CrewCab, 1980 10’ Dynacruiser camper.

“Fish don’t catch themselves.”

If you don’t mind sharing, how were you fishing to catch Spanish?

Trolling: 1 Clark spoon on the downrigger at 20 ft. 1 Gotcha plug on the downrigger at 30 ft. One Gotha plug freelined. One Brad’s Wiggler plug freelined.

Anchored: Mud minnows freelined back about 50 ft. The spanish spit out a half digested small menhaden, but I didn’t get any that morning. Wish I had!

The Arsenal: 17’ home-built jet sled, 1996 F-350 Powerstroke CrewCab, 1980 10’ Dynacruiser camper.

Try trolling around the castle w/Clark spoons at about 5-7 kts… You can catch Spanish and Bluefish. If trolling too slowly, you won’t get any bites. About 5-7’ around the castle will work…mostly on North side. Good luck.

PioneerLouie
Pioneer Venture 175, Johnson 90
Summerville, SC

BTW - Around Castle Pinckney you really don’t need downriggers. Depending on line size a 1 to 2 0z. sinker ahead of a 24" leader will get you down far enough.

PioneerLouie
Pioneer Venture 175, Johnson 90
Summerville, SC

Good to know, thanks guys!

do y’all eat spanish macks? if so how do you prepare them?

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Thanks for the info guys. I definitely wasn’t using my downriggers around the castle. Way too shallow. I’ll give it a try with live bait, slow trolled this weekend and fast trolling with spoons/plugs. I know they’re there since I put a couple in the box.

The biggest spanish I’ve seen was caught on a free lined live menhadden between the jetties right at the end.
Thought it was a small king, until we got it in.

My only sc Spanish came under a float @ the jetties w/ 2 mud minnows. I fished outa panama city fl in march and we put over 50 in the box trolling. We trolled 4 lines. Each had a different size weight and 20’ of leader. At end were all Clark spoons. they were in the inlet (between rocks) and beach front. Capt. said troll higher in water column in am and as day gets hotter go deeper.

As for cooking: u can marinate w/ oil or Italian dressing. Doesn’t need long. Put on grill skin down and let’em cook. U do not flip them. If u are good u can stick the skin to the grill and slide your spatula under the meat. Can have some bones, but not the oily mess many say

'04 Sea Hunt 200 Escape w/ Yami 150

Great fried! If they are big then cut the skin off and cut the dark meat out and they are good.
Mr Hardware

Fileted broiled in the oven with paprika and lemon juice. I’ve only ever eaten them the same day we caught them. I’ve heard they are not any good if not eaten very fresh.

quote:
Originally posted by Apickett

I’ve heard they are not any good if not eaten very fresh.

that’s what I was afraid of…

I always freeze fish and shrimp in water. I think how you store food makes a big difference but I also think some of the better fresh is just catching what ever and eating it that day. It is just an extension of a great day. I’ve, on several occasions, prepared both frozen and fresh fish and shrimp at the same time and can’t tell them apart. I enjoy as much as possible fresh but if I can’t cook it immediately I will freeze it in a minute and enjoy it later.
Mr Hardware

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72

do y’all eat spanish macks? if so how do you prepare them?

My last trip we caught a good many on little gotcha plugs. I’ve never eaten them and didn’t care to keep them but the crew decided otherwise saying " aw they are good, etc." Dropped folks off on the way home and one by one they wouldn’t take them… I’ve got a freezer full of spanish chum.

BG

I love spanish mack i ususally steak them up like a king and throw them right on the grill! BTO send them up to charlotte!

-Wishes Charlotte was 3 hours closer to the ocean…-