Troubleshooting a Short

I am looking for some advice on where to troubleshooting a short with my TNT switch on my console (side panel). On several occasions during latest trip when tilting up the motor cut off as soon as I pressed the TNT switch. I have inspected the panel. No wire is exposed. There are three TNT switches - front, panel and tiller handle. I have a 50HP Tohatsu.

This kind of issue could be dangerous on busy waters. I suspect it will get worse over time as I work to locate the short.

Thanks in advance!

Without actually being on the boat with a multimeter in hand…

Ive never owned a Tahatsu, but I know a friend flipping switches and shaking wires while you chase the gremlins with the MM is about the only way

Let us know what winds up being the issue

I would try to recreate the problem at the house
Then start disconnecting wires and put a megger on them.

I have traced the wires on all switches. All good! Based on some research its very possible it could be my rectifier going bad…tilting down is fine. Tilting up is when the motor shuts off. The weight of the motor going up would require more AMPS than going down…so more than likely that’s it. Everything I have is breaking on me…HVAC, cars, and now my boat! Some times I just want to crawl under a bridge with some Mad Dog!!!

1 Like

I feel your pain
One of my boys has a 50 tohatsu.
I had to put a new starter on it last year
If it starts running on two cylinders
Let me know
I had to adjust idling also

Thanks! What year is his motor? I’d be interested to know if it will accept the motor locks I designed to hold it place while trailering.

1 Like

Give me a growl