This may be a dumb question. But here goes. I bought some trout tricks and have a quick question. Do you try to get the lead head on the jig head as deep into the grub as you can to try to hide it or just so it sits flush?
The head of the jig should sit flush with the grub part. Should look like the head of the lure itself. Donāt try to force the head into the rubber.
Thatās what I needed to know. Thank you.
rbr, there is a pic of one rigged at http://fishingwithbob.com/
2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13ā Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke āFlattyā
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
Thanks for that!
I was going to try those. But with all the blatent advertising inserted into others threads I will never tie one of those things on my line. Good luck with it though.
If two wrongs donāt make a right, try three.
I tried them due to all the hype. On the link posted about he said they are better then live/ fresh bait. Any thoughts on this? Ive always been told you canāt beat live/ fresh bait. Iāve always used live or fresh cut bait. This is the second time Iāve used a lure. Other was DOA.
No thatās not true, Iāve found that live bait is ALWAYS the best bait to use, over any lure. IMO.
Iām so salt life I get land sick.
I wrote this in Nov 2011:
āLures will outfish bait 95% of the timeā! You should see the looks I get from clients, when I make this statement. But this is a fact. Think about it. When you cast out a bait, be it a live shrimp under a cork, cut bait on a Carolina rig or any number of techniques using bait, youāre fishing a small strike zone. When you throw out a lure, youāre covering a ton of water and if itās a sinking lure, youāre covering the whole water column. This in itself is a distinct advantage.
However the larger reason for fishing lures is that fish donāt feed most of the time. How many times have you been fishing and not gotten a bite? When fish arenāt biting you can make them bite by employing the reaction bite technique. The easiest way to explain this is with a spinnerbait. When fish are actively biting, you can cast and reel a spinnerbait straight back in and catch fish. Not so when they arenāt biting. But you can reel a spinnerbait a few feet and then ākill itā, which means to stop reeling and let it helicopter down. Inactive fish will be triggered into striking a seemingly easy meal. Really inactive fish will hit with their mouth closed and at times you will foul hook them.
On my charters, we use Trout Tricks, a plastic worm type lure, on a 1/8th ounce jighead. We cast out, let the lure sink to the bottom, jerk it up a couple of times, and let in fall straight down on a semi slack line. The bite always occurs on the fall. The rate of fall, about one foot per second, is so critical, that when we fish Zoom Flukes, a bulkier lure, we have to use a 1/4 once jighead to achieve the same rate of fall.
Rigged TroutTrick:

Bob Sanders
www.trouttrick.com
FishingWithBob
Big Fork Farms LLC
Real Estate Sales
803-300-2780
803-259-1374
bob@fishingwithbob.com
www.fishingwithbob.com
www.southcarolinalandonline.com
Nothing beats live bait. But, plastics are fun to play around with.
If two wrongs donāt make a right, try three.
Thatās the one I article. I donāt believe this to be true. But Iām going to put it to the test. I just donāt think any thing beats live bait.
rbr311, That Bob guy is the one selling those lures so of course he is going to say how great they are. Heās on every inshore thread promoting the things. Iāve heard they are decent plastics. But you can find the same basic thing for half the price almost anywhere. And you are right about live bait being the best. Anyone not selling plastics would agree with that.
If two wrongs donāt make a right, try three.
J.P beat me to what iāve been meaning to post for a few weeks nowā¦Iām by no mean bashing Capt Bob who I dont know from Adam and I do enjoy reading his postsā¦but from first hand experience most of these lures catch more of us than they do fish. The āsame basic thingā worked and presented the right way will catch fish. Last year the hype was the glass rattle in the DOA, the year before that was Z-man jerk shads, and the year before that was gulp anythingā¦that being said I have a tackle box with hundreds of dollars of each of the mentioned luresā¦i even have some 20$ sebile baits that i thought were sexy as he*lā¦turns out the fish didnt think soā¦I fish about 90% artificial stuff nowā¦I remember when I first started fishing grubs 10+ years agoā¦i bought a pack of fluorescent orange/pink looking grubs made by āHaw Riverāā¦they were maybe 50 in a pack for 3$ā¦I caught as many fish from that pack of obnoxious looking grubs as any other of the higher dollar stuff todayā¦anyone ever see an orange bait fish? how about an electic chicken colored one? it all comes down to presentationā¦there is a lot of value in Bobās technique of fishing and casting in to the current so the bait can naturally fall straight down triggering bites as you retrieve with the currentā¦but that can apply to most any piece of plastic with a light jig head. Iām posting this to help the guys that are just getting into fishing artiesā¦the biggest tip i can giveā¦the thing that helped me improve my catch drastically and didnt cost me any moneyā¦learn to tie a uni-knot to get your leader to your main line and learn how to tie a Loop Knot to your hook/jigheadā¦a friend showed me this on a trip to florida as he was outfishing me with the same lure same spots while i had a typical cinch knotā¦now i wont tie an artificial without it. Anywayā¦goodluck to everyoneā¦as far as arties āoutfishingā live baitā¦that may be a stretchā¦but they definitey catch fish and are a lot more convenient/reusable.
'a stranger is just a friend i havent
Thanks for your post. I tie a double uni for my line to leader. And a palomar know to all my hooks. Why tie the different knot to your jig head? Presentation ?
Yepā¦it alows the bait the look more natural and not as āstiffā as if it was cinched tightā¦the days when everyone is catching fish it wont matter as muchā¦but on the slower days, it helped me catch fish when most werent
'a stranger is just a friend i havent met yetājt
J/w why do you fish 90% artificial?
Iām going to give it a try this weekend. How many colors do they offer?
Thanks in advance
17 MAVERICK HPX-V
one colorā¦but seems to work just fine most of the time
Rbr ā¦I fish mostly artificial for a few reasonsā¦the biggest beingā¦its fun/challenging/rewarding when you can get a fish to bite your plastic/fly offeringā¦and I donāt have to worry about catching bait. That being saidā¦when I take friends/family outā¦I donāt mind throwing out some crab chunks out and set rods out and just listen for the bites ![]()
'a stranger is just a friend i havent met yetājt