Trout?

On the way to Charleston on I-26, there is a billboard just before the hwy 601 exit to Orangeburg. It is an advertisement for Cracker Barrel. It basically says one thing “Spring Fed Trout”. Not sure what that is.

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish

That’s those pond raised rainbows from the mountains.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Yeah, I know what they’re selling. But “Spring Fed Trout”?! I guess that “Farm Raised Trout” doesn’t sound sexy enough.

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish

“Spring Fed” is marketing speak. They are farm raised usually in small ponds.

Jack Taylor

Because a pond fed by a fresh water spring sounds cleaner than their normal poo-poo pond…

Yeah, Poo-Poo Trout does not sound near as appetizing.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Yall ever fished in those little mountain pay ponds? When my son was young we used to go camping in the mountains pretty regular and I’d take him sometimes. The ponds are very small, most you can cast across with a fly rod, even me, and I suck with a fly rod. But they are loaded with rainbow trout that seem to eat anything a 5 year old boy can throw out there, so it’s great fun for the kids. The ponds charge per pound for the fish you catch, catch all you want and they weigh your buckets. I think it was $3 a pound the last time we went. We never kept a fish after eating a couple of them. Yuk! We’d go catch 50 little trout, barely big enough to make a decent bait to me, it would take 4 of them to make a pound, and we release them all. Come back with an empty bucket… it really pizzed off the pond owners. Had to keep switching ponds :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

My step-father took me to the little trout pond his friend owned near Hendersonville (only about 45 minutes from my hometown) for my 13th birthday. I caught 16 in about 15 minutes. Like you said Larry, they charge by the pound. Even back then in the early 70’s it cost Pop a good chuck of cash; but every time I think of that cool rainy April day, I smile to myself. I still have the picture somewhere.

Jack Taylor