Tundra 4.7L V8 Timiming Belt Replacement Question

My 2006 Tundra, 4.7L V8 is due for it’s 90,000 mile timing belt replacement. I thought about doing it myself but, just don’t have the time or inclination as I have a long list of other “duties”. The only other person that has ever worked on my family cars sold his business a couple of years ago so I had to start shopping prices.

Since I am replacing the timing belt, I figured I’d also replace:

*water pump/gaskets
*idler pulleys
*tensioner(s)
*thermostat/gasket
*serpentine belt

I checked a reputable dealer to get a baseline and was told that they do a “package deal” that includes all of the above as well as camshaft and crankshaft seals for approximately $1,200.

Another place (recommended by my friend and former mechanic) quoted me $900 but when I asked him about doing the cam and crank seals said he would not recommend doing them now and that doing so would add approximately 5 hours or so of labor. 3 other quotes are in the $1,200-1,300 range, NOT including the extra seals.

Any mechanics out there have any insight, words of wisdom?

Thanks

Didn’t know 90,000 was the replacement level. I did one on My Brother-in-laws with the 3.4 v6 because the water pump failed at 280,000. He had never replaced the belt. It actually did not look too bad. It’s doable, but a pain in the butt, today I’d probably be like yourself with time restraints and let someone else do it. Actually the labor price sounds fair.

At 90,000 miles I wouldn’t worry about your crank or cam seals unless they are leaking. I’d wait till the 180,000 interval.

Give Glen over at LexTech a call.

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

quote:
Originally posted by Reel Wicked

SeaPro 220CC

X2…they know their Toyotas!

Thanks for the input Fellas. Shocked, no input from Peapod.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Probable doesn’t know a Toyota has one, only a belt for the rat to run on!

Try Carpenter’s Auto on Airport Blvd. in Cayce. He’s a Toyota guy. He replaced the U joints in my truck a couple of yrs. ago. Good price, really good guy. 803-794-4733

Bob Van Gundy
803-727-4069
Custom Aluminum Fabrication

Don’t worry about the seals at only 90K. $900.00 is what I paid on my old 2005 Land Cruiser from the dealership. Unless you have a mechanic that specializes or does a lot of 4.7L replacements, go to the dealer for this service. Shoddy or bargain work on that belt may cost you an engine down the line.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

quote:
Originally posted by Reel Wicked

SeaPro 220CC

This!^^^
He will give you the good Toyota kit with everything you need including the proper sealant. The gates kit is not the best and honestly wasn’t any real difference in price. The labor is the killer at shops but it isn’t a hard job just very time consuming. Remember there are two different indents, one for America and one for…other? Line them up properly and you will have no troubles! I believe it took me about two and a half to three hours (my first time diving that deep into a Toyota and I am slightly retarded according to my wife), 5 beers, and one round of cussing because I dropped the bowl of bolts and got them mixed up… almost 20k miles later no problems

-Regulator 28fs
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Everybody dances when shotgun sings” Stewart and Winfield

The best quote I have gotten is from the place my friend and former mechanic recommended. They use the Aisin kit which is a Toyota kit. I’ll check the other places you folks have recommended. Thanks

Did you replace it yourself?

“You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” - C.S. Lewis

No, have had no time and my wife is getting some surgery soon and I’m not sure I haven’t gotten too stupid to do such in depth work like this. I don’t relish spending $900 but, this is the first real expense I have had with this truck so I can’t really complain.

I have pretty much decided on a place and plan to get it done over the holidays. Thanks again for all the input.

best wishes on her surgery.

Thanks Pea! I’m really more worried about me and my youngest. We will be subjected to her being a somewhat immobile patient. She does not sit around very well.

Also thanks for not suggesting I chose not to do it because I would break something else.