Turkey hunting seminar

Palmetto State Armory in Mt. Pleasant next Friday, March 15th at 6 p.m.

I don’t need a seminar to tell me how to turkey hunt.

“Good things come to those who bait”

quote:
Originally posted by phinfreak09

Well, I guess if you're baiting,you don't need a seminar.

Oh my

quote:
Originally posted by phinfreak09

A few years ago a friend of mine talked me into going to a fishing seminar, I figured it would be a waste. Found out it was a pretty interesting thing to see others perspectives and knowledge. On the turkey thing, I know some areas that the most novice hunter would have no problem while other areas not so much.

Don’t let the man catching you baiting. :wink:

I’m the guy doing the seminar, do I consider myself an expert? Absolutely not but I do have lots of experience chasing the big birds around, been doing it since 1981. Not your cup of tea, don’t show up. The Basics will be covered, from locator calls to things to look for when scouting, patterning your gun, etc., etc.,. I learn something new every year either from the birds or from other hunters. Should be a fun time plus as an added bonus there will be a discount offered on your purchases after the seminar. Starts at 6:00 pm Friday evening.

Will there be any tips on where to start our search in the Francis Marion?

I was there at sunrise this morning, saw four hens but never heard a gobble in three different spots that I know gobblers to be. I will tell you what to look for but not giving up my hard earned spots.

Been going out to the Francis Marion for nearly 10 years and have only heard 1 turkey gobble . I’ think I need to make time for the seminar.

You can kill a lot more turkeys if you have a buddy call while you hide out in front of him.My pap taught me how to call with a wingbone,he wouldn’t take me fishing until we got him a turkey.haha. I never caught the turkey fever, I hate picking them.

Thanks to Longbearded1, wish I could attend because there’s always something to learn. To those who don’t think they need a seminar maybe you could help others by volunteering to give a seminar of your own.

quote:
Originally posted by flyinghigh

Been going out to the Francis Marion for nearly 10 years and have only heard 1 turkey gobble . I’ think I need to make time for the seminar.

Dammit fh ,that’s some bad luck.You need to ride some roads during the middle of the day.90 percent of successful turkey hunting is scouting,another reason I don’t turkey hunt.Keep in mind,pressured birds in the government woods might not gobble much.

There are lots of turkeys in the FM, but theyre not at the easy to reach places, and the ones that are have been “educated” Get away from the food plots and walk deep in , far from the road until you don’t see beer cans & cigarette packs then go a little farther. Scouting is the key. The toms are becoming more and more territorial as the days get longer. The flocks are breaking up

Thank y’all. Maybe this will be the year.

I’ve found that public land birds are less vocal. Maybe that’s because they’re “educated” by hunting pressure, who knows, but I’ve had them walk in on me completely silent more often than not and that typically led to me being busted.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

It’s not talking crap if you can back it up…and nothing can back it up better than facts.

I have turkey hunted since the 70’s yet every year that first turkey I call in teaches me about how much movement they can tolerate. My best advise is have the gun up before the bird gets there and wait for the turkey to walk in front of the gun!

Turkeys are gobbling on private land,one guy I know has already got two.Pretty easy to get one where no one else can hunt,a whole lot different than hunting in FM.

quote:
Originally posted by sman

Turkeys are gobbling on private land,one guy I know has already got two.Pretty easy to get one where no one else can hunt,a whole lot different than hunting in FM.

The boys that are gonna kill turkeys are going to kill them regardless of where they are hunting, and that’s a fact.

quote:
Originally posted by salty849
quote:

The boys that are gonna kill turkeys are going to kill them regardless of where they are hunting, and that’s a fact.

Ha I can tell you never hunted on public lands or anywhere others were hunting.Must be nice to be born with a silver spoon.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by salty849
quote:

Ha I can tell you never hunted on public lands or anywhere others were hunting.Must be nice to be born with a silver spoon.

I hunted the francis marion the first 25 years of my life big dog, I tend not to drive far from home anymore. Working on turning this silver spoon into gold currently, I sure as hell wasn’t born with it though, my parents didn’t have a stitch of land accept where our house was and that was in a neighborhood.