Turkey Tactics

Just curious,

How are y’all cookin’ em this Thanksgiving? We usually smoke one turkey and a ham, and I fry one (or two) more, depending on how many are comin’. This is unquestionably my favorite holiday of the year, so I’m curious to hear what y’all do and how y’all do it…

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

We’re going traditional. 24 hour brine (1 qt. apple cider, 1 qt. orange juice, a couple of lemons, 1 cup salt, 1/4 cup cracked peppercorns, 2 gallons of water) followed by a trip to the hot box with a bundle of aromatics in the body cavity and veggies on the outside.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

Since it’s just the 2 of us, we usually roast a turkey breast in the oven, but this year my wife wanted to do a whole turkey. I figured she’d get a 10-12 lb. bird & man was I mistaken about that. I looked in our big freezer to see how long it would take to defrost, and lo and behold, there was a twenty two pound monster in there. I’m glad I looked when I did. From my calculations at 4 lbs. per day, it was going to take 5 1/2 days to thaw that sucker out. It’s been in the fridge since Thursday night & it doesn’t appear to have made a lot of progress. I planned to start brining Wed. morning. Then into the oven on Thurs. noon or so. Only time will tell. We may be having Thanksgiving on Sunday.:smiley:

Edit: And she doesn’t even like the legs or thighs! White meat only.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

real men make their wife do all this. right df?

-wishes Macdaddy would come home

Bart, I went and bought one of the new Butterball Oil Less Turkey Roaster’s. It is supposed to cook up-to an 18 lb turkey. Have used once and that was only to try it out! Got an 8lb Predue Even Stuffer and injected it with Butter infused with Lemon Pepper Spice. Cooked it on medium heat for 10 minutes a pound as per directions! should have had it on high for that time. after 80 minutes the skin wasn’t brown but was getting there. I turned it up to high and cooked for another 20 minutes! It was the most moist chicken I’ve ever had. I don’t ever eat white meat because it is usually dry! Not this stuff. I’ll be doing a 16 lb turkey the same way, but haven’t quite figured out the injection mix yet!

quote:
real men make their wife do all this. right df?

Well, I was getting ready to post, “my wife cooks it, I eat it”. That’s really all that matters to me.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

BB, traditional roasted turkey and baked ham for us on Thanksgiving. I tried to do the frying thing but was voted down by the ladies of the family. I’ve got it lucky and have a few drinks with the men folk while dinner is fixed and then have a few more after it is over. Amazing how a good Green Creme de Menthe and Vodka will settle a full stomach.

we save the frying for other times. Never brined one, but after Too Busy’s post may have to try that.

I’m frying two, maybe three. I just thaw them out and shoot them up with Tony Satcheries Creole butter. I don’t think theres a better way. Period. This is hands down my favorite holiday. I don’t have to spend a ton of money, and I get to eat like it’s my last meal ever. What’s not to like about that!

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I’ve heard that you want a fresh turkey if your going to brine one! Not a turkey that has been pumped up with something when you bought it?

Inject with seasonings, shove a fosters oil can up in there (filled with budweiser) and cook at 250/275 on the PDQ! Good stuff

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats

I have been frying turkeys every year for a long time, so this year, I am going to change things up and smoke one. I plan to start the brine tonight, although I still havent determined which brine I will use and will start smoking it on apple/cherry early Thursday morning. We will also have a back up bird in case it doesn’t turn out good.

“Kleenex, The Official Sponsor of Fishb8”

quote:
Originally posted by Too Busy

We’re going traditional. 24 hour brine (1 qt. apple cider, 1 qt. orange juice, a couple of lemons, 1 cup salt, 1/4 cup cracked peppercorns, 2 gallons of water) followed by a trip to the hot box with a bundle of aromatics in the body cavity and veggies on the outside.

Sounds delicious. Good luck! Does anyone on here eat turkey on other days than holidays? I never have and I am not sure why. It is pretty darn good if done right.

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.

I eat it until it runs out. Love me some turkey sandwich’s with lots of mayo! As far as I’m concerned the sandwich’s are the best part of turkey day.

quote:
Originally posted by Black Bart

Just curious,

How are y’all cookin’ em this Thanksgiving?

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

we’re bringing https://www.rroysters.com/ :smiley:

and the other couple is baking some sort of “heritage” turkey or something…hope that doesn’t mean like an antique turkey or anything…y’all are killing me with all these good looking recipes…be safe!

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

quote:
Originally posted by CooperRiverMan
quote:
Originally posted by Too Busy

Sounds delicious. Good luck! Does anyone on here eat turkey on other days than holidays? I never have and I am not sure why. It is pretty darn good if done right.

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.

We have turkey at Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter with the extended family.

Good stuff, everyone! I have to agree with CRM, TB’s brine recipe sounds awesome! TB and PV, does the brine help even if you’re frying the bird, or does it have more of an effect if you’re baking or smoking it?

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

I’ve never fried one. I bought a fried bird, but it was injected instead of brined.

One thing we did last year that turned out awesome was turkey roasted veggie gravy.
I drew off some of the turkey fat to brown the flour in. Grabbed 2 small potatoes, an onion, a couple stalks of celery, and 2 cups of the juice from the bird out of the roasting pan. Those went into the blender while the flour was browning.

Veggie liquid and a cup of half and half into the flour and whisk until smooth. Damm good gravy

Brine then air dry.

Rub under the skin with olive oil/rosemary/garlic/salt/pepper, rub skin with olive oil.

Fill cavity with aromatics - apples/onions/garlic/rosemary.

Fire up stick burner (smoker)

Smoke at 275 with a mix of apple/oak until done.

Drink beer while staring at smoker - while women do everything else.

quote:
Originally posted by jughed

Drink beer while staring at smoker

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

THIS I can do…and watch some football at the same time if possible…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org