Turneffe Flats, Belize

Anyone been? My wife and I are looking to go April, May or June and are using Yellow Dog Charters. Want to see if anyone has been and what their experience was?

Thanks

I was there in late January 2017 for a week. Beautiful location, easy to get to, amazing views from the lodge. Owners live on site and are great people and are doing great things to preserve the atoll. Having said that, the fishing was mediocre at best. Even though there seem to be a number of accessible flats, many of the guides fish the same flats resulting in too much fishing pressure in my opinion. Not too many wadable flats—spent most of our time poling. There are several fishing lodges in the area and quite a bit of commercial fishing. There is also a very large resort going in not too far from the lodge with construction noise in that zone (it may be completed by now). Bones were skittish to say the least. Extremely small flies and very long leaders (12’) were necessary. There were probably 25 rods fishing all week and there was only one Permit caught and it was a snag in a Permit ball wow. Several in our group had been to Turneffe Flats a few years ago and had a great fishing experience and they all noticed a definite change. Now, it is possible that we just hit a bad stretch of luck but we don’t plan on going back.

Huck

Thanks for the info. Just talked to Yellow Dog and they had a few anglers just get back and they had double numbers on the bonefish and even got a few Tarpon.

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

quote:
Originally posted by Reel Wicked

Thanks for the info. Just talked to Yellow Dog and they had a few anglers just get back and they had double numbers on the bonefish and even got a few Tarpon.

SeaPro 220CC

If you decide to go, I’d be interested in hearing about your experience. Cool place.

Huck

Just got back from Turneffe Flats. Had a great time and what a cool place. Everyone seemed to have caught fish, one guy had a inshore grand slam in one day. Plenty of bonefish were caught too. I caught 25-30 bonefish, 2 for 4 on permit and had a tarpon on for 20min but it spit the hook. My guide was Alton and he was awesome. Craig, Karen, Diana and JAD do a great job at Turneffe.

SeaPro 220CC

Sounds like a pretty incredible trip; thanks for reporting back.

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18, 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX
Malibu X-Factor Kayak

RW, encouraged to hear you had a productive trip. Might have to reconsider going back if I hear more reports like yours…

Huck