Two Questions About the Bilge and Water

#1 What is a reasonable amount of water to get into the bilge?

It seems that I get a lot of water in the bilge but it’s not obvious how it gets there. The most likely thing to me would be through the brass garboard plug in the transom. It’s a brass on brass thread so maybe that’s how it gets in. I tried putting Teflon tape on it but that didn’t make a difference.

#2 What can go wrong with a float switch?

My bilge pump quit coming on automatically so I have to remember to hold the switch periodically. The pump and float switch are two different units but connected. I can get my fingers on the float switch and the little lever on the side works - floats and moves freely. I don’t know what else could be wrong with it unless there’s a blown fuse between the float switch and the pump. They are mounted in the worst possible place to access them. They are underneath 3 or 4 of the tubes that provide input and drainage to the livewells. The tubing is stiff and appears to be glued to the stainless steel through-wall transom fittings. I couldn’t get them off to get to the pump.

quote:
#1 What is a reasonable amount of water to get into the bilge?

Depends the boat type for sure as to what is reasonable, but I’d generally prefer none or less :smiley: Boats shouldn’t leak, pumps and switches should be accessible. What kind of boat is that?

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

It’s my Sundance Flicker 17 ft

Float switches go bad and are generally easy to replace if you have access. Also, the connectors between the float switch and pump can corrode and lose their connection.

Sounds like a little trouble shooting is in order.

If you can see the fittings and hoses between hull and live well/fish tank or on board coolers , check them all out,they will sometimes
freeze and split if not drained completely during winter!!!
just my 2cents worth.:smiley:

all gave some , some gave all–only two offered to die for you, christ for your sins , the soldier for your freedom!!!

Both good suggestions. There are only a few places that water can get into that boat, and the live well intake or drains would be my first suspicion.

As to the float switch, it’s either a bad switch or a bad wiring connection. I always wire them directly to a battery ahead of the battery cut off switch. This way you can shut off all power to the boat and the float switch and pump still work.

If you need help with it, bring it to me.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Try to bypass the float switch,I will bet it is a bad switch! Like what Cracker said about no water or less! It doe"nt take much os a hole or crack to bring in a lot of water! The only way I found a leak in one of my boats was to ftll it up to the gunnels with water and wate 10 min. to find a screw missing from the S.S. keel guard!