Ugly Stik Rods

I’m still interested in what Opps_Lost likes in place of ceramic guides.

One way to keep the guide frames on your rods from breaking is to purchase rods with better guides.

I have multiple ugly stik “custom” rods with TLD 15’s and 20’s on them that have been great rods no matter the price. For $69 to $79 they are hard to beat.

To the OP: come into haddrells or the angler. They will get you set up. You can do as much caper research as your data limit allows, but nothing like feeling one in person IMHO

14’ Skiff-“Redfish Reaper”

I have a half dozen inshore selects, 7.5’ medium action paired with Penn Battle 3000 series reels. Put some 14 or 20lb Power Pro and you are set. Never had a problem with the Fuji guides. Did have one break due to a high stick at the boat.

Capt. Tim Deckard

Daily Charters -> http://BeaufortCastawayCharter.com

Ugly make a 4-6 wt 7ft rod? Looked can not see one anyplace I look

Stonoman

Stonoman - I have an ugly stick inshore select rod that’s 7’ and 6-15 line weight. I think it’s the lightest 7’ they have…

As far as ugly sticks go, they are certainly not the most sensitive rod, but they tend to last forever - i’m surprised so many people posted issues with them, i’ve had 6 or 7 of them for many years with no problems. I find that Braid and an ugly stick is just as sensitive as mono on some much more expensive rods - maybe I just don’t fish the same way to need that much sensitivity, but I can usually feel “Everything” through my lighter sticks…

Good luck!

I bought a lite inshore 6-15 medium and inshore select 6-15 medium/light to pair with a battle 3000. These rods feel solid and look to be of the same quality of the $100 rods I use. For $50 I’ll use them plenty and they’ll prob. work better and outlast the rods I paid $100 for. 6-15 looks the the lightest rod they make.

I have several Ugly Stick Rods - cat rods, spinning rods, striper rods, & “3” of the Ugly Stick “TIGER” rods.
I like all of them, but especially like the Tiger Rods.

For the money, can’t beat them.

I use them for cats, reds, stripers, and anything else that wants to bite.
I am mainly a cut bait and live bait fisherman, lazy, throw the rod out and stick it in a driftmaster rod holder… :sunglasses:

I have several Ugly Stick Rods - cat rods, spinning rods, striper rods, & “3” of the Ugly Stick “TIGER” rods.
I like all of them, but especially like the Tiger Rods.

For the money, can’t beat them.

I use them for cats, reds, stripers, and anything else that wants to bite.
I am mainly a cut bait and live bait fisherman, lazy, throw the rod out and stick it in a driftmaster rod holder… :sunglasses:

Ugly stick used to make a Custom Inshore Graphite rods that sold for about $70. I have two that are paired up with a couple Penn Slammer 360 reels that I used week in and week out for bait fishing. One of the best rods for the money I have ever bought. I was heartbroken when I found out that they did not make them anymore when looking for a new rod for my son about 5 years back. I have had those rods for about 6-7 years and they are still in great condition.

Iain Pelto
Sea Hunt Triton 160 w/ 90 ETEC “JB3”
Native Manta Ray 14

YakMan and others make a good point: I have read that Wal-Mart stuff is special order, lower quality stuff. They can place huge orders an get their own production runs, made of lower quality materials. I have 8 year old Ugly Sticks from Haddrell’s. The wrappings on Wal-Mart Ugly sticks is blue; the real ones are red-gold, I think. Gotta be careful shopping there; it’s not ol’ Sam Walton’s quality anymore.

“Don’t tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.” Mark Twain

I went straight to the source, Ugly Stik has a website where you can buy the rod directly from them. Picked up an inshore lite for 40 and inshore select for 50 plus around 10 shipping. Can’t lose having a couple of these in your collection. Like I said they look and fish every bit as good or better than the $100-$150 rods I fish.

quote:
Originally posted by NaClH20

YakMan and others make a good point: I have read that Wal-Mart stuff is special order, lower quality stuff. They can place huge orders an get their own production runs, made of lower quality materials. I have 8 year old Ugly Sticks from Haddrell’s. The wrappings on Wal-Mart Ugly sticks is blue; the real ones are red-gold, I think. Gotta be careful shopping there; it’s not ol’ Sam Walton’s quality anymore.

“Don’t tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.” Mark Twain

I want to make sure I’m clear…What you’re saying is that Ugly Stik will make 2 of the exact same rod with different materials for two different retailers because one will pay for the cheaper rod?
I highly doubt this is true. I doubt that in China or India or wherever Ugly Stik is made that they have 2 different production lines (one cheap, one cheaper) depending on which retailer they’re selling the rod to. Maybe I’m wrong but that doesn’t sound correct.
Walmart gets the prices they do because of economies of scale.

In today’s high-tech, tight supply chain world, large retailers can have their own store versions of fishing equipment made. I am told by people I trust that the Ugly Sticks you get at Hadrells’ for example, are a better grade rod than the ones at Wal-Mart. They don’t carry all the same Ugly Stick models; different names and colors on them, different prices. You get what you pay for. If I wanted 100,000 units of a special order cheaper rod from Manufacturer A made for my stores, I am sure that I could get it made. Some merchandisers special order a higher quality unit; put a special store label on them, put a higher price on them, works both ways. I try to find the Buicks, not the Cadillac’s - - like that gray Shimano Symetree reel, one step down from from the Stratic…has the same gears as the Stratic.

Rods are still wrapped by human hands, one at a time. Even for companies that sell millions per year.

I don’t think that’s the case. I went by Haddrell’s and looked at their Ugly Stik’s. I then went to the Ugly Stik company store website and ordered two rods. They came in as the same color/make and exact same model numbers at the one’s at Haddrell’s. The only difference, the company store sells them for $40 and Haddrell’s for $60. I think convincing you that somehow they are different is a good way for Haddrell’s to mark them up an extra $20. No difference in the rods whatsoever. Can’t speak to what Wal Mart sells, but from what I see on their website, they are the same as well. Haddrell’s are good people, but in this case I chose to save $40 for the same exact 2 rod’s.

The walmart inshore lite, blue and gold were the ones I was speaking of. Not sold anywhere but walmart.
Im glad you saved $20 on a rod, try buying bait or testing out a new rod or reel online…

14’ Skiff-“Redfish Reaper”

“Im glad you saved $20 on a rod, try buying bait or testing out a new rod or reel online…” Who in their right mind is going to spend an extra $40 dollars on the same product they can get for less somewhere else. I think that’s just common sense, has nothing to do with bait or testing a product out you can’t test out anyway.

Exactly my thoughts. No one likes to throw away money.