Ugly Stik Rods

Thoughts on Shakespeare Ugly Stik Rods. They have a couple models for saltwater inshore. Are they any good?

I have a 15 year old Freshwater rod (7’ medium casting) and a brand new freshwater rod (7’ med/heavy spinning). The old one is great. The new one has rusted guides already despite the wash-down after every use. The old one has been used in saltwater for half of it’s life, no issues.

The rods themselves are great, but on the newer ones the guides seem to rust up way too easy.

“Sire, it belongs in truth to the Church of God, in whose name I speak, to endure blows and not to inflict them. But it will also please your Majesty to remember that she is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.”…Theodore Beza

Great rods, for what they’re meant for. That’s taking your 4000 or larger spinning reel and tossing out bait, not finesse rods. Although my dad just got the ugly stik inshore special with the split grip for his cork/artificial rod and loves it.

14’ Skiff-“Redfish Reaper”

I love them for big fish on live bait. We use big jigging rods for tarpon, and the white Striper rods for well, striper.

For finess fishing and throwing arties on spinning gear etc. I prefer a nicer rod. Something lighter with good eyes for braid. You still don’t have to spend over $100 to get a good inshore rod.

TFO, redbone, shimano, etc.

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I have 2 lights and a couple of mediums. I have used Ugly Sticks forever. Great rods. Never had one break.

“No individual raindrop ever considers itself responsible for the flood.” Anonymous

http://www.facebook.com/pages/HealthFirstCares

http://healthfirstcares.com/

195 Sea Fox Bay Fisher

I have two that I assume are freshwater since I bought them at Walmart way away from the nearest salt. They’re good for the price.

The problem I’ve had is the metal part of the eyes breaks and the ceramic ring falls out. I fixed it w/ super glue or epoxy and went on my way.

This model here seems made for inshore salt water fishing, a friend uses them inshore and swears by them. Am use to the higher end rods and wonder how they compare. http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/Ugly-Stik®-Lite-Inshore-Rod/1285728,default,pd.html#start=6

Last 4 inshore uglys I bought for reels I rarely use, the eyelet housings cracked, won’t own another.

I just bought a ugly stick jigging rod. Not impressed at all. It feels lose between the grip and the blank. Nowhere near the quality of the Penn Torque I have, but also didn’t spend that kind of money either. But it’s only for a extra rod on the boat for someone else to use. Agree with JMH on the guides. I don’t care for ceramic guides.

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

For what it’s worth, they are not good rods typically if you are fishing for stuff with sensitive strikes. They are fine for things like Trout Tricks where you are always “setting the hook” by the jigging action you do, but if you are drifting stuff like DOA shrimp or slowly retrieving a paddle-tail, they really aren’t that sensitive.

For slinging bait on hard-hitting stuff like bonnets and reds, then they are quite nice.

“Sire, it belongs in truth to the Church of God, in whose name I speak, to endure blows and not to inflict them. But it will also please your Majesty to remember that she is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.”…Theodore Beza

I fish a 5’5" ugly with a Penn 430sg and it seems to work for everything I fish for and is a great setup. The only problems I have ever had was the eyelets on the guides coming undone. This is probably because the rod lives in my truck or van when not in use and I never wash it, unless it’s sandy for some reason.

Narcosis

quote:
Originally posted by Opps_lost

I just bought a ugly stick jigging rod. Not impressed at all. It feels lose between the grip and the blank. Nowhere near the quality of the Penn Torque I have, but also didn’t spend that kind of money either. But it’s only for a extra rod on the boat for someone else to use. Agree with JMH on the guides. I don’t care for ceramic guides.

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

What do you like instead?

As for Ugly Sticks, I’m not big on the store bought ones either. I have built on US blanks in the past and used higher quality parts.

quote:
Originally posted by Kebda380

This model here seems made for inshore salt water fishing, a friend uses them inshore and swears by them. Am use to the higher end rods and wonder how they compare. http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/Ugly-Stik®-Lite-Inshore-Rod/1285728,default,pd.html#start=6

nope, that's the Walmart special. Haddrells point has a good selection of ugly stiks. Come on down, and they'll get you set up with a great rod for your needs. That's what they are there for

14’ Skiff-“Redfish Reaper”

What would a good inshore rod for a Penn Battle 3000 run me at Haddrell’s?

quote:
Originally posted by Kebda380

What would a good inshore rod for a Penn Battle 3000 run me at Haddrell’s?

My 3000 sits on a TFO 7’ SSC704 - $99. Charleston Angler sells them, I don’t know about Haddrells. The rod is light with a fast tip and a ton of backbone.

Ugly sticks are great for cheap reels and loaner rods that you don’t have to fish with personally.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

^x2. Basically, they are bulletproof. But they aren’t the most sensative rods. They are great for kids to use. Or, that idiot friend that always drinks too much and breaks stuff. Worth every penny to have in your arsenal. Spend a little more and get something nice for yourself and have a few ugly sticks for everyone else. With proper care, they will last forever.

my 6’6" medium heavy “intercoastal” ugly stik is a 1 piece rod with nice sturdy guides & looks good too with the cork handle, it’s worth every penny of $40 i paid for it.

My Battle 3000 is on a Star (Stellar, I think?) Lite (around $100), recommended by Haddrells, and I’m very happy with it. I was actually looking at a couple of other brands for the same $ and the recommendation was for Star due to the ease of warranty replacement - they can just hand you one off the shelf versus you sending it to manufacturer (as long as you keep your Haddrells receipt!) if any issues down the road.

Eyelet issues here too. Had to scrap only two ugly a I had from walmart. Both year old light use.