Ultimate 12 in the surf

Hey guys i was thinking of purchasing the ultimate 12 but i like to fish in the surf also.I just need some good advice,and i dont want to put money in something and regret it later.Has anyone on here launched and fished in the surf in one of these yaks?If so was it stable,easy to jump in to once past the breakers,or is a SOT my best bet.I really like the looks of this yak with the room and accessories.Thanks.

I don’t know but I would think a SOT woudl be better for the surf… SOT’s have scupper holes and they’ll drain on thier own… the Native boats don’t and you have to pump them out if they get water in 'em… if yer gonna surf fish with it I would go SOT… Safer at least, not as conforable as the native boats but much safer in the surf I think…

“Paddle faster boys… I hear banjo music!”
Charleston Director- SCKayakfishing.com
Tarpon 160os

You might want to check out the Native Magic if you like the native seats and accessories, but need a sit on top. It might be a good compromise for you!

Annoy a Liberal, Work Hard and be Happy!!!

I have been fishing off the beaches lately. I am absolutely in love with my yak. Its the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13. Wading past the surf is definantly safer. I tried riding a small wave in very close to shore and it flipped the yak, not stable at all in surf. The rod pod is great for using a gaff on big fish then droping them in the hull. Just like any yak if your in rough stuff keep the hatches securly closed. One big wave over the side while the rod pod is open or a hatch and you fill the inside up with water… bye bye! The prowler 13 drains water fast through the scoopers. In fact i pump water into my live bait well but dont even drian it out. I let it overflow through a hole on the side of the container, then out the back scoopers. Prowler 13 also has a sonar shield for protection, and glare protection for the depth finder. Not to mention the price is reasonable

Here is the old link to my yak and its rigging
http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=81649

Hope this helps,
OE

I absolutely LOVE an Ultimate, but it is NOT a surf boat. If you like the Native, take DolphinD’s advice and get a Magic.

Other yaks that I like BTB are Tarpon’s, Prowlers, Rides (sort of, don’t care for the hull slap on a Ride in a chop)and Redfish.

Yaks I DON’T like BTB for fishing, great for playing in the surf. Aloha, Scrambler, Ripper, Islander, Yak Board. They would be okay for yakking out baits, but too short for comfortable fishing or paddling decent distances.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Grahame

While I don’t spend as much time in the surf as Eric I do spend several days a year fishing off Hunting Island Beach. Would recomend a SOT, I take the Hobie Revolution out in the surf and have never had any issues. I will use the Mirage Drive to launch from the Beach and it works well going out through the surf as long as its not too big. Now coming back in I follow Eric’s example and swim the kayak back in.

Just be careful in the Surf, mid 80’s a friend of mine was up in NC with a buddy and they had been surfing their ocean kayaks when one of them caught a wave wrong and it slammed him bow first into the bottom, he ended up with a couple broken legs.

Hobie Pro Angler
Hobie Revo
Hobie Outback

Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet air intakes

Thanks everyone for your replies,and i am going to take a look at some different sit on tops.OE that is a nice set up you have there,definately a fishing machine.DD i like the looks of the magic but have yet yo find a price tag on any looking online.Most places dont even carry them,all they have are the ultimates and the manta ray.I am having to sell my boat and this looks like the way to go with the way funds are at the time.It also looks addicting and that it would be a good way to stay connected to the outdoors(here fishy fishy).Thanks and tight lines.

For surf and chop scuppers are the ticket. I have a Native Magic and have been in some tough weather with not too much concern. Seats are the best. Very easy to accessorize (you can easily make your own attachments). With the rudder it tracks really well. IMHO.

team hillbilly

quote:
Originally posted by reelemin

Thanks everyone for your replies,and i am going to take a look at some different sit on tops.OE that is a nice set up you have there,definately a fishing machine.DD i like the looks of the magic but have yet yo find a price tag on any looking online.Most places dont even carry them,all they have are the ultimates and the manta ray.I am having to sell my boat and this looks like the way to go with the way funds are at the time.It also looks addicting and that it would be a good way to stay connected to the outdoors(here fishy fishy).Thanks and tight lines.

If you would like, we offer rentals here at the store (Time Out). You can try just about any boat from Wilderness Systems, Hobie, and of course Native.

We do have the Magic in stock at Time Out, and on sale for $750 (normally $900)

FYI, We will be selling all of our DEMO/RENTAL boats after Labor day. Usually 30% off, unless they are well used, then we will do a bit better.

Good luck!
DD

Dave
Let me know when you’re ready to sell some rentals. I need to add to the Too Busy fleet.

What does the Magic come with for $750… PM me

There is nothing - absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Grahame

OutdoorsEric - Can you stand up and throw a net out of yours?

DolphinD - I didn’t know you guys carried Native and just bought my wife a Native Mantaray from River Runner here in Cola. The guy said you could stand up but I couldn’t as I guess it was too short. Can you stand up in an Ultimate. Would like to come down and check yours out.
Thanks

SeaPro 23 WA Yam 225
High Tide 16 Honda 40
Key West 17’ Stealth Yam 115

I can stand up and throw a net out of my yak if the water is calm. It feels stable, but I have always surfed and wakeboarded and tend to have good balance. However when the water is rough I have a great 4 foot net that I can throw very well sitting down after practice, and when your right on top of the menhaden school a 1 foot net would catch plenty for a yak well.

quote:
Originally posted by MarshMan

DolphinD - I didn’t know you guys carried Native and just bought my wife a Native Mantaray from River Runner here in Cola. The guy said you could stand up but I couldn’t as I guess it was too short. Can you stand up in an Ultimate. Would like to come down and check yours out.
Thanks

SeaPro 23 WA Yam 225
High Tide 16 Honda 40

MarshMan, The ultimates, especially the 14.5, are extremely stable and very easy to stand up in. The manta ray, while a great paddling boat, is not really made for standing. If you are looking for a SOT that you can stand in, check out the Ride. Wilderness Systems also has a brand new boat (I will get to see it this sunday) Called the Commander, that is supposed to be a bit of a cross between the Ultimate and the Tarpon/Ride series. I’ll let you know about it after we test it!

Give me a shout or drop by the store next time you are down here.

DD

DD
The commander has more in common with the Ultimate than it does the Tarpon or Ride… Way cool hybrid.

Thanks OE for the info.

Thanks DD - will come see you soon.

SeaPro 23 WA Yam 225
High Tide 16 Honda 40