US Highway 41 Steel Swing Bridge/PIC

Good afternoon all –

It is with great excitement that we share with you that the SC Governor’s Cup Board of Directors has approved moving forward with acquisition and placement of additional material within the Charleston Deep Reef MPA. The project structure will include the US Highway 41 Steel Swing Bridge (168 x 24 x 32 feet, pictures attached) placed on top of a 130 X 32 X 12 foot barge. The estimated cost to complete the project is $180,000, with a deployment date tentatively scheduled for August 2017. As you may have heard, the two previous structures placed in the MPA in 2014 by the SC Memorial Reef Committee have been a great success attracting both imperiled deep-water snapper grouper species, as well as the pelagic fish that SC Governor’s Cup Billfishing Series participants target. In fact, many blue marlin and sailfish were caught and released in the immediate area during the summer of 2016. Adding structure to this MPA will only increase the beneficial effects.
This will be a joint project between the SC Governor’s Cup Billfishing Series and the SC Department of Natural Resources, both of whom have already made significant financial commitments to get the project started. In addition, we are depending on conservation groups and you in the private sector to contribute whatever you can to bring this project to completion. Beginning immediately, we are soliciting tax-deductible contributions to the SC Memorial Reef account within the Harry Hampton Wildlife Fund. Please make checks payable to Harry Hampton Fund – The SC Memorial Reef, C/O Amy Dukes, P.O. Box 12559, Charleston, SC 29422-2559. With your help, we can build on our previous success with this unique project to further enhance deep water reef habitat off our coast. Please be on the lookout for our updates on Facebook and other media outlets. Be sure to enlist your friends in order to get this project on the bottom of the ocean!
Good fishing,
Wallace Jenkins, Program Director
Amy Dukes, Tournament Coordinator

[img]h

This is exciting news. I was hoping that all this structure was going to be put to good use and it sounds like it will. I’ll be making a contribution to the fund and will encourage my fishing buddies to do so. (don’t see the pictures attached though?)

Another question: After you go under the 41 bridge on the Wando and make big turn south under the power lines heading towards the harbor, about 1/4 mile further south, to your left, there’s an area where they store cranes, construction equipment, etc. There’s a large multi level boat (looks like one of those Spirit cruise line boats use for social events) sitting in the water. Anyone know what it is? Looks old/run down and would make a great artificial reef habitat.

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau

I have been told she is a retired gambling boat?
Not sure that’s true. Maybe someone else knows the real story
of that old gal.

16’ Alumacraft Mod V Hull Jon Boat
25hp Yammy 4 stroke

It is a run down old gambling boat, I think they were going to use it when N CHS wanted to do the offshore gambling tours?? It would make a nice reef.

Nauticstar 1900XS w/ suzuki DF140

I wish they’d drop of this this stuff nearshore…not far from some of the shipping buoys. A pile here, a pile there…

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 22 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 18 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

quote:
Originally posted by claim

I wish they’d drop of this this stuff nearshore…not far from some of the shipping buoys. A pile here, a pile there…

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 22 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 18 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

I have seen the plans for the material that will come from the harbor deepening project. The material will be mostly limestone and they intend to create reefs along either side of the channel and one area nearly 30 acres in size. That much exposed stone should end up making some great habitat. It’s just how many years will it be before they get the work done.

Olde Man Charters
843-478-1538
Oldemancharters@gmail.com
286 Seafox/Twin 300’s