UTV. Belt or Shaft Driven?

My uncle had his Honda Pioneer stolen a couple weeks ago so he’s in the market for a new UTV. We looked at the Polaris Rangers (belt driven), but he’s convinced the belt will only give him troubles. He used the Honda for hard farm work (hauling trailers, wood, tools, etc) on a daily basis so he needs something that works very well.

So here’s the question: in ya’lls experience has a belt driven atv/utv given ya’ll any issues? If so, how?

Back in the day, we had to break ice one morning in Mississippi in order to set decoys, my 2 Honda Rubicon’s broke it all, the other 4 Polaris machines were sitting on the bank, revving engines trying to dry the belts. Never cared for a Polaris after that.

My experience too. Belts don’t work well when wet and the machine is loaded.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

The variable belt drive has been around a long time. I’ve never really had an issue unless you totally submerge and neither belt or transmissions like deep water unless equipped with a snorkel system. Newer belt driven atv/utv are much better than they used to be and the biggest issues I’ve seen with them is running at slow speeds in high range overheating/glazing the belt. put it in low range for extended slow travel.

All that said I still prefer a manual transmission in an atv/utv and Honda’s new automatic.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I’ve got a JD Gator that’s been through some nasty stuff. Belt driven and I’ve never gotten it stuck. Believe me, I’ve tried. Hell, this past deer season it spent more time in the water than my boat did all summer. If the belt gets wet you give it gas or back off and creep through as the situation dictates.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Well, those are the perfect answers for what I was looking for. Thanks ya’ll!

Bowtech Allegiance
Ruger M77 .270

I will never own a Polaris anything ever again, had to replace every moving part on my Ranger at 200 hrs it seemed. Kawasaki Mule Pro-FXT has been flawless on the farm, Honda pioneer is a bad ass machine as well…

Have you looked at an Argo? Pricey, but seem indestructible.