Vacation near Pawleys

We are vacationing this weekend near Pawleys Island. I’m considering renting a kayak and fishing one day while down. The outdoor rental store will drop the kayak at the 3rd Street landing.

What should I expect? I’m trying to keep it simple. A popping cork with artificial or jig head. Then wondering too if it would be worth trying to fish around some of the docks for a sheepshead.

Any advice would be appreciated.

My wife & I & family have vacationed on the island several times over the years. I took my Gheenoe one year and my brother and I fished the creek. We did best one year on baitfish we caught in a cast net. That was in Oct. Another year we went earlier, April I think it was & the weather wasn’t great, and neither was the fishing. I’ve tried various lures, and even fly fishing, but with very limited success. I think in hindsight in a yak, I would check out the north end and over towards Litchfield or the marsh channels on the southern end where the county road comes into the island. I caught a nice size Black Drum in that area, but on shrimp. I much prefer to use lures, or flies, but for my visits there, that just didn’t work out well. Another possible place might be in Huntington State Park. I’ve yet to fish there, but have read of others with yaks fishing there and having some success. IMO, small, light jig heads ( 1/8, 3/16 or maybe 1/4 oz) & plastics would be good, and MirroLures are popular.

With the recent rain, and storm this morning, we canceled our kayaking trip. The ocean and Creek around south Pawleys looks like coffee.

18’ Hewes Bayfisher

Yep, storms can certainly do that. One of our trips there, a tropical storm had hit before we arrived and the water took all week to clear up. We fished, but didn’t do any good until the last couple of days we were there. You probably made the right call, particularly if your fishing time would have been limited any way.