Variety is the Spice of South Carolina

We live in a special place, we know that. From our history to our culture, South Carolina gives us many reason to call her home. To the fly fisher, it offers more diversity than anywhere in the country. We’ll break it down into 3 regions: the upstate, midlands, and the lowcountry… You can read the rest of this great article by Scotty Davis here https://coastalanglermag.com/variety-is-south-carolina/

SABJAR

Great article. Thanks for sharing. I have only fished the salt waters on the coast and some local ponds with the fly rod in SC. I actually got my start in it from my brother in law in WV. First time he took me to some secluded stream and hooking Rainbows and brook trout, I was all about it. I need to make some trips to the upstate and midlands soon.

quote:
Originally posted by mbflyfisher

Great article. Thanks for sharing. I have only fished the salt waters on the coast and some local ponds with the fly rod in SC. I actually got my start in it from my brother in law in WV. First time he took me to some secluded stream and hooking Rainbows and brook trout, I was all about it. I need to make some trips to the upstate and midlands soon.

It is a Special State and there is lots to explore if your a flyfisherman in South Carolina and its not that far away from us!

SABJAR

I appreciate the optimism of the article. Loads of tarpon and world famous Santee-Cooper, hell yeah.

I’ve been fly fishing a very long time. Since I moved here, I’ve met some folks who fish the coast, or fish for trout in the up state, and talked a few minutes with a fellow at the local Walmart who was buying a cheap fly rod to fish for panfish. Otherwise, no one I’ve talked with who fishes, uses fly tackle, especially in my area.

I’ve yet to hear of anyone fly fishing Lake Marion or Moutrie.

So, how many actually fly fish for bass & Stripers in the lakes?

Does glow popping count? Haha

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

quote:
Originally posted by StumpNocker

Fishing Nerd

Now I know you’re a creeker :smiley:
quote:
Originally posted by sman
quote:
Originally posted by StumpNocker

Fishing Nerd

Now I know you’re a creeker :smiley:

Lol, busted!

Fishing Nerd

quote:
Originally posted by bigjim5589

I’ve been fly fishing a very long time. Since I moved here, I’ve met some folks who fish the coast, or fish for trout in the up state, and talked a few minutes with a fellow at the local Walmart who was buying a cheap fly rod to fish for panfish. Otherwise, no one I’ve talked with who fishes, uses fly tackle, especially in my area.

I’ve yet to hear of anyone fly fishing Lake Marion or Moutrie.

So, how many actually fly fish for bass & Stripers in the lakes?

Fly fisherman are definitely a minority in the state. I’m in Columbia and there are quite a few around here, most fish for Trout in the Saluda but they also fish Smallmouth and Striper in the Broad, Congaree and Saluda rivers. I’ve fished Lake Murray for Bass, Striper and Crappie along with some other spots around town. I’ve done a little bit of fly fishing in the Diversion Canal and Cooper River for Shad, hope to go again this spring, but nothing in the Lakes above the Canal. Moultrie looks to be a prime place especially during the spring spawn.

Tight Lines

There is no greater fan of Fly Fishing Than the Worm!