vehicle

Looking for a pickup for my son. Something that will get him around for a couple of years until he can get on his feet. Thinking S10 or ranger with ext. cab or similar. Looking to spend $5k or so.(don’t laugh!). Figure I’d see if one of the upstanding CF members would have something or know someone that does.

My oldest drives a 99 S10 that only has 75,000 on it but we’re looking for something newer since he drives back and forth from Cola to Chas. Small pickups that are lower miles and in decent shape are hard to come by. Started looking at Tacomas but they really retain their value so we’ve branched out and are looking at Frontiers or a 2010-11 Ranger. With no on really making a small truck anymore, folks that have them drive them until they die. I’m willing to spend twice that and it is still hard to find a good one. Good luck!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

You can thank cash for clunkers and the high price of steel a few years ago.

Like Dfreedom said, finding a cheap good used truck is going to be tough. If anyone you knows has access to the Base, try their “lemon lot”. Sometimes you can find someone being shipped out willing to let one go cheap.

as long as it’s a chevy it will last…

B.O.A.T. Bust Out Another Thousand!

2016 Sea Pro 219

The timing is off for me. I am close to selling my Ram 1500, but not just yet. it is a 2000 model, 2wd with extended cab. It has had a few issues in the past but I fixed them and it just keeps on running.

j

quote:
Originally posted by hammurred

as long as it’s a chevy it will last…

B.O.A.T. Bust Out Another Thousand!

2016 Sea Pro 219

I remember as a youngster the old arguments. Toyota and Datsun came to America and forced us to actually build a vehicle that didn’t need an engine rebuild at 100K (or sooner).

If Ford wouldn’t have put the 6.0 out they would still have the market on Diesel Trucks. IMO. Isuzu bailed out Chevy and Cummins bolstered Dodge.

They all make good vehicles now a days, other than over complicating them all.

I have a Chevy 1500 for sale. Only selling because I moved up to a 2500.
I’ve done a lot of maintenance in the past 5 years.
http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=176030

10% of the people catch 90% of the fish.

I got 490,000 miles out of my 6.0 before it blew up. I’m now driving the 6.7 liter and it runs like a scolded dog. Best diesel on the markets

quote:
Originally posted by dirty white boy

I got 490,000 miles out of my 6.0 before it blew up. I’m now driving the 6.7 liter and it runs like a scolded dog. Best diesel on the markets

Dang!! That’s the best I’ve heard on the 6.0! That’s a lot of miles on a pickup! My Personal best was a 1982 Toyota with a 22R 320K when I sold it still running good. Did you at least replace the head bolts before it blew up?

If you interested in a car my sis in law has an Altima by Nissan that needs a little work. 2005 is the year. Let me know and I will give her your info.

Double D.

[quote]Originally posted by SSFiero

I have a Chevy 1500 for sale. Only selling because I moved up to a 2500.
I’ve done a lot of maintenance in the past 5 years.
http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=176030

Am I just old school?? I know modern vehicles will go 200,000 miles plus more often than not but I still remember it being a big deal when they reached 100,000. How much life does a vehicle with 230,000 miles have left? I know it’s a crap shoot. Realistically I’m looking to get a vehicle with 40,000 miles left in it without a bunch of mechanical issues.