VHF Not Receiving

I just realized this past weekend that my VHF is not receiving. It is sending fine but I cannot receive. I feel sure it is an antenna issue but have never had an antenna go bad. Planning to re-solder the connection as next step but wanted to see of anyone had any other ideas as to what to look for?

Can you hear the weather channels?

Hydra-Sports 22 Bay Sport
225 Rude
14’ Stumpnocker
15 Rude

Bad speaker

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. FISH 24/7---- 25 Grady w/ a couple of Gas Guzzling 175 Johnsons “O-SEA-D” the old “Havanadaydream”

Agree with Havana,
Bad Speaker!!!

Had same problem last year went to shop an they
replace the speaker fixed problem

Cannot get the weather.
Don’t think it is the speaker because if I turn up the gain static comes through the speaker? I would assume if the speaker was bad there would not be any sound at all? Was that the case with yours Havana? Also who did you take it to? Mine is a Standard Horizon Eclipse w/ the DSC if that helps.

Does it have an external speaker plug in? U could plug in a portable speaker or headphones and se if u hear anything.

I assume when you checked the transmit that the other radio was very close. Your antenna is not working. If you have sound when gain is cranked and beeps when going through the menus, its not the speaker.

I was messing with an old radio once and with just a piece of wire about a foot long in the center hole of the antenna port I could get 3 weather channels. I would not try transmitting with the wire in there, probably fry something, but it would be a easy test for you.

Hydra-Sports 22 Bay Sport
225 Rude
14’ Stumpnocker
15 Rude

I will try plugging in some headphones to the back to eliminate the built in speaker just to make sure. But have a strong feeling it is an antenna issue now.

Okay so it is definitely not the antenna. I re-soldered the plug to the cable and now get the weather Channel however I have to adjust the gain in order to get the weather Channel to come through? I did a radio check on channel 27 the radio is transmitting fine as I can hear my transmission confirmation come through on my other radio. It simply is not receiving from any type of distance. I did try another radio from across the yard and it will receive that just not anything further. Any ideas I would hate to install a new antenna if it might be an internal issue with the radio.

You have 2radios?

Swap the antennas around and see if that fixes it…

Thats how i had to do it before.

Gut Wrench I had thought about that, but due to the way the wires run though the “t” top tubing it is not quite that easy.

Internal amp for speaker. Hooking up external speaker will yield same issue. Trust me. Get a new radio.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. FISH 24/7---- 25 Grady w/ a couple of Gas Guzzling 175 Johnsons “O-SEA-D” the old “Havanadaydream”

Internal amp for speaker. Hooking up external speaker will yield same issue. Trust me. Get a new radio.

Havana if it is a speaker issue then why can I hear the weather radio through the VHF also why can I hear my other VHF from across the yard? I could see it being an internal signal amplifier if the is such an item which I guess would be the same as a gain? Just don’t think the issue has anything to do with the speaker.

Thought you said all you got was static on the weather channel with gain turned up all the way. With gain set normal you got nothing.

I swapped the antennas last night and same issue so know I am 110% sure it is the radio. Standard offers a flat $65 fee to repair their units after warranty but by the time I pay shipping and am w/o my DSC radio for several weeks looks like I am better off just to buy a new unit with full 3-year warranty. Got a new unit coming from Hodges Marine and with mail in rebate it will be right at $100 with shipping; hard to beat that.