VMS for Everyone and 29 New MPAs?

The South Atlantic Fishery Management Council is reviewing 29 proposed MPAs that cover most of the 40 to 80 fathom break and talking about closing them to ALL fishing. The council is also considering the need to require ALL vessels fishing in federal waters to have VMS. The only way to stop this is IF enough fishermen and concerned citizens will contact the council opposing new MPAs and VMS. The council should consider reconfiguring existing MPAs and marking them with data buoys or platforms equipped with video cameras to monitor any vessel entering closed areas. Please contact the council and encourage others to do the same. safmc@safmc.net

Bullshot

fish today work tomorrow

I have contacted my state representatives.

Thank you jczc2414. Here is the public comment info for VMS in Amendment 30.

The Council is also accepting written comments on Amendment 30. Written comments should be addressed to: Robert Mahood, SAFMC, 4055 Faber Place Drive, Suite 201, North Charleston, SC 29405. Comments may be sent via FAX to 843/769-4520. Email comments may be submitted to SGAmend30Comments@safmc.net. Written comments will be accepted until 5:00 PM on May 3, 2013.

And will the government also have a reimbursement program in place, like they do for commercial fisherman, for the recreational population?

Mike Crouch
Sea Tow Charleston
843-881-8949

Don’t know about the MPA’s, but they are NOT proposing to make recreational boaters have VMS. Only commercial fishing vessels.

quote:
Originally posted by OccamsRaiser [but they are NOT proposing to make recreational boaters have VMS. Only commercial fishing vessels.

This is where they start. If they can put restrictions on commercial someone later on says “look how it help here why not make the rec guys.” All the proposed are bad ideas.

Chad
Cobia 256 Express
Pulled by a Dodge Ram 3500

A SAFMC member stated at the March meeting that they would need to address VMS for recreational and for-hire vessels in seperate amendments. This is a progressive scheme designed to attack one group at a time. The council leadership knows that if VMS was forced on everyone at the same time, there would be a large enough backlash to stop their attack on our Constitutional Rights. Please sign and share this petition opposing VMS. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/930/791/778/support-for-alternatives-to-vessel-monitoring-systems/

I have heard back from Ralph Norman, one of our district representatives. He is going to the meeting and he is in full support of the state taking control.

One thing that I just thought of, and I need some ■■■■■■■■ please. The USA is one of the rare countries in which our territorial waters is only 12 miles, is that correct? If that be the case, then we do not even need the VMS for anything outside of US waters. We are in international waters. Why do you think that so many foreign vessels come to fish offshore of the USA? Is this correct?

The US waters extend from 3 to 200 miles offshore

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

I have contacted our US representatives as well. I strongly urge everyone to do the same. The more we cry out to our representatives, the more apt they are to hear us and to help us.

Way to go jczc2414! We could solve our fishery management issues if every fisherman did what you are doing. Keep up the good work. Try to get your friends and family to submit comments or at least sign the petition and share it on FB. Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by jczc2414

I have heard back from Ralph Norman, one of our district representatives. He is going to the meeting and he is in full support of the state taking control.

One thing that I just thought of, and I need some ■■■■■■■■ please. The USA is one of the rare countries in which our territorial waters is only 12 miles, is that correct? If that be the case, then we do not even need the VMS for anything outside of US waters. We are in international waters. Why do you think that so many foreign vessels come to fish offshore of the USA? Is this correct?

The term "territorial waters" doesn't come into play with fishing regulations. It's the "EEZ" that the feds claim resource ownership of to bound their regulations as as sellsfish mentions the federal EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone) extends out to 200 miles in most areas (except where there is a foreign land on the other side like the Bahamas for instance, where we split the distance).
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by jczc2414

The term "territorial waters" doesn't come into play with fishing regulations. It's the "EEZ" that the feds claim resource ownership of to bound their regulations as as sellsfish mentions the federal EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone) extends out to 200 miles in most areas (except where there is a foreign land on the other side like the Bahamas for instance, where we split the distance).

Yeah and it was originally created to regulate other countries trying to fish in our waters. Seems like we are regulating ourselves more than them.

Chad
Cobia 256 Express
Pulled by a Dodge Ram 3500

What do you guys think of pushing for state waters extending out 50 miles?