Wahoo and ballyhoo

I obviously never pull ballyhoo when high speed trolling, but when running skirts behind big planers when trolling for dolphin, does everyone run ballyhoo deep…or just wire and skirts?

Always ballyhoo for me

ballyhoo behind seawitch blue and white or red and black on high speed planer gets hit frequently by wahoo when we are fishing for mahi

Always ballyhoo with great success…

We just run hard green/black and purple/black lures with 600# cable on our planers, but I don’t see why you couldn’t do ballyhoo. They seem to strike the naked lures just fine, but having something deep and dark colored is the most important thing in catching big hoos.

Also, when just targeting wahoo in the cold months, our long riggers have dark colored seawitches ballyhoo rigs on #9 Malin wire. Short riggers have chuggers.

Oh and center shotgun has a cedar plug chasing a tan squid chain for blackfin :slightly_smiling_face:

quote:
Originally posted by SouthernMiss

We just run hard green/black and purple/black lures with 600# cable on our planers, but I don’t see why you couldn’t do ballyhoo. They seem to strike the naked lures just fine, but having something deep and dark colored is the most important thing in catching big hoos.

Also, when just targeting wahoo in the cold months, our long riggers have dark colored seawitches ballyhoo rigs on #9 Malin wire. Short riggers have chuggers.

Which kind of hard lures are you running on your planers?

I normally run a braid marauder (Orange/black) way back

quote:
Originally posted by SouthernMiss

Oh and center shotgun has a cedar plug chasing a tan squid chain for blackfin :slightly_smiling_face:

What color cedar plug do you prefer for blackfin?