Wahoo

When do the Wahoo start running off the coast of SC? Would like to catch some after the first of the year when ever they start.

They are here year round. Out there right now if you can find the weather to get to them.

Full Moon, Ledge, Fast troll.

www.baturinphotography.com

Yo Zuri Bonita trolling lures pulled behind heavy trolling leads 12 to 14 kn, zigzagging the ledge.

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

That lure is a killer.

That Yozuri plug is a fish catching machine!

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

They are not cheap, but worth every penny! Also, one requirement for wahoo is mother nature, that has appeared be hardest opponent this year…

Paul, do you use a split ring or anything for the connection to the wire? I have lost several of those expensive plugs because they vibrate so hard that they chafed through the wire connection.

26 Seahunt
Angler’s Dream

Me too ^^^. I buy them in pairs now.

I like to use the split ring! I think it adds action and lasts better than a hay wire twist!

Yeah I was thinking of using 6’ of anchor chain. They pull so (**() hard and vibrate like hell. They do catch the fish though and I noticed that dolphin love them too but most are hooked on the side of the gills and that calls for low gear to land that helicopter.

26 Seahunt
Angler’s Dream

Heavy multistrand cable, and two crimps for each loop

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Exactly…wire will fail. You have to use the cable. Those metal braid runner lures are killer also. Again…use the cable. They woble like a mo fo. You don’t have to put them far behind the boat either.

http://www.tackledirect.com/yo-zuri-bonita-lures.html

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

Holy HELL those are expensive. I guess losing one is no different than losing a 9 lure umbrella rig on the lake. I’m going to need some mad tips on where and what to get trolling wise before spring. I’d like to stock up on small increments for the next 4 months. I’ve ONLY bottom fished my whole life. I’ve been trolling a handful of times but never running the rig myself. I definitely plan to do my fair share of trolling in 2016. Anyone with tips on what I need, please offer. I have some rigs for ballyhoo with skirts etc and understand how to hook them up and what-not. But what wire or cable as I’m
Reading is necessary. Links like Paul posted are perfect. More info the better. I’ll be making a log to keep up with and make sure I’m ready come April.

Thanks,
Mike

Take a skilled person with you the first time. Trolling isn’t too difficult. You can learn 90% of what the average troller does in one offshore trip.

quote:
Holy HELL those are expensive.

I’ll spend $35 for a lure that I know works, to gain 70 lbs. of Wahoo, any day. Losing a few is the cost of going fishing. I rig mine with cable too.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Offering up your services Ricky?

quote:
Originally posted by FLORIDA_BOY2

Holy HELL those are expensive. I guess losing one is no different than losing a 9 lure umbrella rig on the lake. I’m going to need some mad tips on where and what to get trolling wise before spring. I’d like to stock up on small increments for the next 4 months. I’ve ONLY bottom fished my whole life. I’ve been trolling a handful of times but never running the rig myself. I definitely plan to do my fair share of trolling in 2016. Anyone with tips on what I need, please offer. I have some rigs for ballyhoo with skirts etc and understand how to hook them up and what-not. But what wire or cable as I’m
Reading is necessary. Links like Paul posted are perfect. More info the better. I’ll be making a log to keep up with and make sure I’m ready come April.

Thanks,
Mike

Lost two the other weekend. One was the larger 10" version. I have fished heavy wire, cable and mono. On average I loose a lure once in awhile but my hookups (and landings) are much higher with 400lb mono. Maybe a fluke the other weekend but I will stick with what I know. Like cracker said!

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Praise the lord and pass the ammunition” -Howell Forgy

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Take a skilled person with you the first time. Trolling isn’t too difficult. You can learn 90% of what the average troller does in one offshore trip.

No need to add anything to this…