Walked the flats on the high yesterday

Fished north of the SI bridge yesterday afternoon, got out 2-3 hrs before the high so I could see the flat before it was covered.
As the tide starting coming up, could hear reds making a ruckus in the tall grass (couldn’t see them, just hear) and expected this to mean they were just waiting on enough water to cover the short grass before they moved in and I’d soon have my pick of fish to cast to. Unfortunately, even when there was shin deep water in the short, I wasn’t seeing fish in areas that looked really fishy.
Only had one 20-30 minute period in one specific spot where I was seeing tails and had some good shots. I didn’t hook up b/c my fly kept getting hung up in the grass and then I tried to get too precise with my casts and ended up spooking a fish.
But after that short window, didn’t see another fish. It was like someone said “Ready… tail for 20 minutes” and then “Stop tailing”.

today should be a little better. the water gets pretty hot in the short grass during the day with high tides in the afternoon. check that spot out in sept and I bet it is on fire.

1802 Action Craft. 115 yamaha.

quote:
Originally posted by nbk65bo

today should be a little better. the water gets pretty hot in the short grass during the day with high tides in the afternoon. check that spot out in sept and I bet it is on fire.

Good point. I remember at one point noticing how warm the water was in some areas and I wonder if that did have something to do with the fish not moving further up. Certainly makes sense. On the other hand, there are tons of mud/blue crabs, fiddler, mullet etc on the flat so there's plenty of food if they want it.

you know, after thinking about this, tell me exactly where it is and I will go today and research it for you. Just kidding. Just a little more tide and the temp will come down several degrees on top of the flat and they will be happy. sounds like a good spot though.

I went yesterday. They were tailing good the last 30 minutes of incoming until a storm rolled up and you could feel the pressure change. Then they shut down all together for me.

www.baturinphotography.com

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I went yesterday. They were tailing good the last 30 minutes of incoming until a storm rolled up and you could feel the pressure change. Then they shut down all together for me.

The tailers I saw were all within a really short window of time. Didn’t see anything before or after that window. Not sure if that had to do with water temp, pressure change or what but was surprised not to see a random fish here or there.

Saw only 3 tailers yesterday. One I thought was golden but not. Released this guy though was in water up to my mid-thigh and could only see a slight swurl from his tail when he was upright. Never saw the take, just felt it.

[URL=http://s686.photobucket.com/user/welchm1_photos/media/photo_zpsb35f86ee.jpg.html]

[/URL]

Scout '282
tidewater '21

Oscar '10

quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog_bites

Saw only 3 tailers yesterday. One I thought was golden but not. Released this guy though was in water up to my mid-thigh and could only see a slight swurl from his tail when he was upright. Never saw the take, just felt it.

[URL=http://s686.photobucket.com/user/welchm1_photos/media/photo_zpsb35f86ee.jpg.html]

[/URL]

IMO, it’s really tough to fish anything higher than knee deep, especially with how cloudy the water is. I prefer mid-shin to just below the knee for optimal depth. Where I was, there were so many mullet (and some really big mullet) that unless you saw a red’s tail, you’d be casting at mullet swirls all day long.

Scout '282
tidewater '21

Oscar '10

I usually dont go up past the top of my knees, but the water was well above where I usually see them. if you know your spot, where they feed and what to look for when the rises past where you usually see a full tail, its not that hard. They’re usually there even if you cant spot them.

Scout '282
tidewater '21

Oscar '10

Haha nice. I was at work on kiawah and saw 3-4 tails on a tiny 10’x10’ flat. That drove me crazy

plan on walking this weekend myself, hopefully I can find a few

experience noun \ik-#712;spir–#601;n(t)s

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

simon my phone took a swim last night in the cooler. Im out of one until monday. Lets go sunday evening.

Scout '282
tidewater '21

Oscar '10

Interested to hear your thoughts on which you like best on a flood tide, the incoming or outgoing?

I have a philosophy (without any scientific proof what-so-ever but it makes ‘logical’ sense) that the fish feed better on the incoming because

1. they’re hungry as opposed to having fed for an hour or so in the grass where they may be less hungry.
  2. the crabs/shrimp might not be on guard as much yet on the early stages of the tide
  3. the fish are more focused on feeding and getting to the feeding grounds as opposed to knowing the water is dropping and getting off the flat

On the other hand, reasons why an outgoing could be better:

1. the fish are more comfortable/relaxed since they’ve been in the grass for a while and aren’t as worried about predators
  2. they realize with the tide going out, better eat quickly before they have to head to deeper water
  3. fish that got way up into the grass may reveal themselves more as the tide drops

Again, I’m clearly overthinking this but was just curious whether my fellow waders have an opinion either way.

The first flood tide of the cycle is always best to me. The water is typically lower upping the chance of seeing tails and it seems like the fish are excited and are willing to stuff themselves on the crabs. The appear more aggressive to me on the first flood than any other one.

Any time they are in the marsh, I personally think they do not consider predators. I can routinely get within ten feet of them and rarely do they spook unless my shadow passes them. Can’t tell you how many have actually run into me.

On the bigger tides, they tail throughout the tide, but a lot of times you can’t see them because the water’s too deep. So I see a lot as the water is coming up and again as its going down, but tough to see them during the peak. I still catch fish on the taller tides, but I have to work harder. Its much easier on a tide where there’s only a foot of water on the flat.