Walmart Healthcare.....

Hey Skinnie, is this a good time to invest in Walmart?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2014/08/08/health-care-for-4-walmart-unveils-new-primary-care-clinics/

Goodbye, doctor?s office. Hello, Walmart?

Based on Walmart?s latest moves, it?s not as unlikely as it sounds.

After years of ?Will they or won?t they?? discussion, Walmart is making its long-awaited move into delivering primary care: The retailer has quietly opened a half-dozen primary care clinics across South Carolina and Texas, and plans to launch six more before January.

The clinics will be staffed by nurse practitioners, in a partnership with QuadMed.

Walmart watchers know that the company already has more than 100 ?retail clinics? across its stores, a strategy it?s pursued for years. So why fuss over a handful of new clinics?

?Because unlike those retail clinics ? which Walmart hosts through leases with local hospitals, resulting in mixed success ? these new clinics are fully owned by the company and branded explicitly as one-stop shops for primary care.
?Because the clinics will be open longer and later than competitors: 12 hours per day during the week and another 8-plus hours per day on weekends.
?And because of the company?s size and scale: Walmart potential as a disruptive innovator in healthcare is essentially peerless.

The company?s move comes at an ideal time to capture consumers: Millions of Americans are getting insurance coverage through Obamacare, and seeking new, convenient sources of care.

Walmart?s stressed that their clinics will be a low-cost alternative to traditional options: Walk-in visits will cost just $40.

And for the hundreds of thousands of Walmart employees covered by the company health plan, well, it?s even cheaper.

?For our associates and dependents on the health plan, you can come and see a provider in the Wal-Mart Care Clinic for $4. Four dollars!? Jennifer LaPerre, a company official, said last week.

?That is setting a new retail price in the health care industr

What say you, capnsandbar?

Haven’t seen a post from Henry in a while???

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Now that you mention it DF, his last post was on May 15! He can’t be that busy:question::question::question:

If like a Minute Clinic, they are required to tightly follow scripted algorithms. Good for many, trouble for some. Still they’ll serve a purpose. Another step toward the inevitable multi-tiered care.

Walmart’s CAGR is 3.28% over the past 5 years. Not exciting enough for me!

Have had several talks with WalMart coporate about the implementaiton of these clinics as they look to place a test site here in Florence. The clinics will be staffed by Mid-Levels (PAs, NPs) and mostly pull your under/non insured patients so there is not likely to be a giant leap in profit for the company. As a side-bar the individual I met with informed me the main reason for opening these clinics is to offer extremely affordable care ($4-6 a visit) for their employee base who are predominantly minimum-wage workers and cannot afford healthcare. They look to see reductions in Workers-Comp claims and FMLA due to injury/illness with the clinics.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.

• More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

Walmart stock was downgraded:
http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/30/news/companies/goldman-walmart-downgrade/

Though, I admit I’ve seen articles exactly opposite of this one as well lately. I like the ideas in this one though, so I reference it…

BG

It’s the same effort as CVS… Minute clinics. They are good for bee stings and common cold. Don’t expect them to probe your prostate.

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley