Walnut Trees. ?

I’ve ordered a few and lost them all. New seed catalogue magazines coming in and I’m wanting to try again. Does anyone around here have any? I’m usually pretty good with growing things, but not so with Walnuts. Any pointers? Reading the chart on the variety I’m fixing to order they should be good for our area/zone.

Never actually come across one in the low country.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I work with a master gardener and a arborist on a property. We are planting a lot of fruit and nut trees this year and they both stressed getting trees from local suppliers. They said even seeds can have problems if they come from a dry, arid place to our climate, even if they are plants well suited for here. Where did the seeds originally come from?

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

quote:
Originally posted by on a fishin mission

I work with a master gardener and a arborist on a property. We are planting a lot of fruit and nut trees this year and they both stressed getting trees from local suppliers. They said even seeds can have problems if they come from a dry, arid place to our climate, even if they are plants well suited for here. Where did the seeds originally come from?

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Haven’t tried from seed, but got rooted plants from Burgess. Y’all doing any kiwie?

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I know of several black walnut trees in Florence county

https://bestplants.com/21-trees-you-should-never-plant-in-your-yard/

The Black Walnut is yet another tree that you should never plant in your backyard. Mainly because it produces dangerous toxins that kill any other vegetable, flower or landscaping plant nearby.

with that said, I have had good results with mail order ,bare root trees. Do Not fertilize when planting bare root until after tree has emerged and growing, and Do Not use potting soil with all the expensive fertilizers and water savers in them, they’ll kill the tree.

straight mortar sand is one of the best mediums to encourage roots from cuttings or bare root.

I got 500 from Forestry commission and planted them in lowcountry back in ‘86. They had best prices but, had to be ordered in advance. Been so long I don’t remember the details. They are now about the size of a baseball and maybe 20-30’ tall. I still don’t think they are producing nuts yet. They grow slow even in super rich soil.

J Ford

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

I know of several black walnut trees in Florence county

Looking for English walnut. Don’t care for the black walnut.

We just lost an older walnut at the farm…fell over after storm.

I’ve been ordering from Ison’s for years now with great success

https://www.isons.com/product-category/nut-trees/walnut/

I have also ordered from Edward Fort, but believe they got bought out by this operation
http://www.hallmanfarms.com/aboutus.asp

Thank you Schoolsout. Isons looks promising. Really debating doing some kiwi.

Was the tree you lost an English? Did it produce good nuts? and where are you at? sorry for so many questions. :smiley: Clearing a cut over area behind the house and putting a lot of thought on what I want to plant back. Working on a an area for dragonflies, another fishing pond, and stuff that actually produces… produce.

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

Thank you Schoolsout. Isons looks promising. Really debating doing some kiwi.

Was the tree you lost an English? Did it produce good nuts? and where are you at? sorry for so many questions. :smiley: Clearing a cut over area behind the house and putting a lot of thought on what I want to plant back. Working on a an area for dragonflies, another fishing pond, and stuff that actually produces… produce.

Pretty sure it was an English Walnut. It was an older tree that grew from a nut way back when. There are/were a few others (guy that bought house on edge of our farm cut a nice one down) in that area. Property is in Walterboro area.

I just ordered 4 instant orchard pecan trees (desirable and elliot) from Isons today to plant at farm. 20% off use code SALE20

another option for you is Dunstan Chestnuts. Wal Mart will get shipments of them certain times of the year from here http://www.chestnuthilltreefarm.com/store/c/31-Dunstan-Chestnut-Trees.aspx so you won’t have to pay shipping. I think they are $25-35 depending on size. We’ve got about 30 out there that we’ve planted and they are growing really well. 2 died with asian beetle or whatever so we burned them and replaced. Already popping off chestnuts, too, and growing really fast.

I was looking around for the shipping list (walmart), but can’t find it and saw where Real Tree was shipping to Walmarts, too

http://www.realtree.com/realtree-outdoor-news/realtree-nursery-trees-now-available-at-walmart

Here’s another thread from last year, but talking about Persimmons, though
http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=161258

quote:
quote:

Haven’t tried from seed, but got rooted plants from Burgess. Y’all doing any kiwie?

No kiwi, all indigenous except a redwood.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Funny thing, the wife and I were just looking at a “dawn redwood” in Farmers Seed and Nursery, the add with the triceratops and Pterodactyl flying over it. :smiley:. Those things can live forever! How is your redwood doing? That would be a neat legacy for generations!

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Funny thing, the wife and I were just looking at a “dawn redwood” in Farmers Seed and Nursery, the add with the triceratops and Pterodactyl flying over it. :smiley:. Those things can live forever! How is your redwood doing? That would be a neat legacy for generations!

"If Bruce Jenner can k