Wando 10-2

Hit the Wando this morning to fish a couple hours eac hside of low tide. The trout bite was nice on the falling tide just after sunrise. Caught a few dinks on topwater and a couple more trolling a grub. Picked up a little flounder on the gold spoon with chartreuse curly tail trailer.

Hit an oyster bar and spooked a couple of reds, so I tossed the gold spoon downstream, one twithc, two twitches, and BAM fish on. Funny now that we want big fish I’m catching slotties, last month wanted slotties and slaughtered the big fish. :shock:

Set up on a deep channel and started picking at the trout. Still mostly dinks, but finally got one legal one.

That gets me to 36 for starters.

I headed downstream and trolled a paddle tail grub and the gold spoon. All of a sudden the yak began to shake and the drag started screaming. I thought I’d hung up on an oyster bar… at least until the “snag” changed directions swam past and started ripping off more line. I was hooked into a BIG OLE RED. Fought it through 2 long runs before getting cut off on oysters. Lost my favorite spoon. :frowning:

After that I headed back upstream to fish one of my favorite docks. I sat there and caught mid to upper slot reds non stop for an hour. I stopped counting after 20 and just sat there catching and laughing like a loon. I think I caught the prettiest red I’ve ever seen today. Bright copper like a new penny with a bright lue tail. the pic doesn’t do it justice.

Who’s ready for a sleigh ride?
www.kayakfishsc.com

Nice day Tommy!

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”

nice report…
wht kind of grub did you use while trolling? i was going to give it a try tomorrow to catch the flood tide along the icw

Great report!
Nice job! Sounds like a great day!
Never tried trolling on the yak…gonna have to give that a shot one day!

there are 3 grubs I like to troll
smoke/white paddle tail, new penny paddle tail, and white /chartreuse curly tail on 1/4 or 3/8 oz jig head. expect to hang up some and lose some jigs, but if you aint retying; you aint trying

Who’s ready for a sleigh ride?
www.kayakfishsc.com

Man I troll from the yak most of the time! Very effective way to locate fish and cover a lot of water. I have had luck with red/green redfish magic paddletails, especially in the fall. Lately have done well trolling DOA shrimp, but you gotta go real slow for that, like drifting with the tide, for example. Make sure you have enough weight so that the grub is bouncing off the bottom, similar to trolling with a stinkpot

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”