Wando learning

caught some shark, stingray, and small croakers in Wando saturday. I have to say though I just started really watching my fish finder. I never really believed those things in the past and always thought it was like a fake camera reel that showed a bunch of junk. When I picked this boat up It’s got the lowrance with the different frequencys you can use side by side with the map and when you see fish, I mark it, and come anchor by it. Even though I didn’t catch the fish I was after yesterday, It was really neat to use.

Get away from using dead bait. Use mud minnows live mullet or menhaden or learn to use soft plastics. I know that area where you were fishing and there ar plenty of nice spot tails

Live shrimp or live finger mullet are working well on a float. Cut crab on the bottom for the bigger reds.

Cut mullet on bottom right now tends to find the trash fish for me.

1 Like

thanks guys.
i’ll work that next weekend

It’s a 4 hour window. 2 hours either side of low tide.

Other than a couple of small drum this is what dead shrimp and squid got me Saturday.

23 sorry the flyrod and arties didn’t work out. no shame in soaking bait, esp for you seniors

1 Like

Another thing that may help. The better fish don’t seem to like pluff mud bottoms. Hard bottom produces more fish. You not likely to find a good flounder in deep pluff mud.

Yea those sounders can be a real treat. I may upgrade to one with some actual definition to it one day. Right now, mine is just for temp and depth and time haha.

Besides, we learn something every trip out, right?! Even if it’s what not-to-do :+1:

1 Like

True. I’ve had lots of those learning trips.

1 Like

@Fred67, did you eat it? Looks delicious!

Try pitching some Kietech swimbait into the water draining out of a small creek into the Wando. They aren’t the most durable plastics, but they almost always produce for me

1 Like

I use those. I try to make them move like a shrimp long jerk. Fall. And stay in touch with the bait on the fall. That’s when they bite

@Peapad

I fished 9-10 times this month…how many days did you get in?

:rofl:

1 Like

No Sir, I did not. Also figured out I do not have any pliers on the new boat, but I do always carry a pocket knife. Believe it or not, I’ve tried them. The little ones are mostly cartilage and the larger ones DO NOT taste like scallops. That is an urban legend. They aren’t bad eating, but then I enjoy a nice fresh bow fin bass out of running water.

Just went to their website, what color do you prefer? the new penny and Nuclear Chicken look pretty fishy. k

Bluegill, electric shad, or the sight flash. In general, if the water is really clear, I’ll use a less flamboyant lure. I seem to have better luck with the nuclear chicken style when the water is murky.