Warning!!! Oysters and clams

People my phone has been blowing up with people looking for oysters. Do not I repeat do not eat any oysters or clams harvested from South Carolina or North Carolina as every sewage treatment plant from Columbia to Charleston seems to have overflowed into all the rivers. I don’t know how long they’re going to be closed, but it is killing me. I’m hoping the test will come back clean in a few weeks, but with all the runoff
were getting now and the Edisto and the Santee still rising it does not look too promising. I will sound the all clear when DHEC contact me to let me know the beds are open.
Paul

Paul, not sure if there is any precedent for this, but can you roughly estimate how long this will affect the industry. 3-4 weeks? And then what?

We have our annual charity oyster roast 11/13. We’ve started pondering a “plan B” and waffling as to when and if to pull the trigger and offer something else.

And sorry for the problems. I hope when they open up you can recoup quickly. Just a mess in countless ways.

Vinman
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
2011 Carolina Skiff 178DLV
90 HP Honda

I am hoping for November 1

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Here is a picture of the plumes draining out of our rivers. I hate to think about all the nasty stuff in that water. Sells, I know oysters filter bacteria and contaminants out of the water but what happens to those contaminants once they enter the tissue of the oysters? Do the oysters turn them into waste or will some of those contaminants stay in their tissue?

Would shrimp be contaminated as well? A lot of nasty particulate on the bottom now…

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats

I called the SC DNR yesterday and they said shellfish harvesting was still open from St. Helena to the GA line. Spoke with the man doing the testing and he said the water below ST. Helena was fine, but they were testing it every day and it could close any time. Was told they have a shellfish hot line updated every day and to call before you go.

800-285-1618

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Meh - 75% of Oysters already contain NoroVirus - and most carry E-coli, Vibrio and Myco bacteria… whats a little extra upstate feces going hurt? ( I know, we are only allowed to harvest the “clean” ones)

Eating a raw Oyster is about the equivalent of going down to the harbor with a pint glass and drinking all night…

There has not been a single case of vibrio reported from local Oysters in many many years. Myco is everywhere in fact I fought one hell of a case of “fish poisoning” on my right knee for over six months. Almost all the cases of people getting sick off of Oysters come from the Gulf states. Like I said DHEC does awesome job of looking over a shellfish beds. The beds may be open south of Saint Helena, but those beds look terrible I went down there last year to look at leases around Beaufort and most of them were dead. Do you know how many oysterman the beds from McClellanville to Edisto support? Shrimp should be fine seeing as they are not filter feeders.

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Thanks for the heads up!!

“Kleenex, The Official Sponsor of Fishb8”

Any updates on the closure Sells?

Thanks,

Call the 800 number I posted. Daily updates.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

It looks like most areas are open. I am waiting for final inspection on my cooler and should start picking next week. I think my son (Ryan) is starting this weekend (Folly / Kiawah)

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron