Wash Down Pump

Got a Jabsco wash down 50 psi 3gpm pump that I only got about 3-years of limited service out of before it bit the dust. Pulled the pump apart to ensure there was nothing simple that could be fixed and realized the motor was locked up. The previous pump only lasted 3-years as well. Is 3-years the expected life out of these? Is there another brand or style I should look at using. I don’t use the pump that much, just to wash down the deck after a bloody fish or to wash down slime after catching bait, at $130 a pop I would expect them to last alot longer.

Unfortunatley, that’s about it for those Jabsco pumps. Mine started acting up at 4 y/o. There are probably some better ones out there, but Jabsco seems to be the most popular one in boats.

I do see where Jabsco does offer a 3-year warranty now, I will be saving my receipt on this one for sure.

quote:
Originally posted by contender1

I do see where Jabsco does offer a 3-year warranty now, I will be saving my receipt on this one for sure.

That reminds me…West Marine also offers an extended warranty on electrical items and they DO price-match. So, find one online for cheap, print it out and get your pump from them and buy their extended warranty. That should get you through a few years.:wink:

I made mine last about 7 years. Had to keep tearing the pump down and rebuild. Finally broke down and bought a new one when Boaters World went out of business…got it for less than 1/2 price. Funny thing the motor still runs great on the old one, so I saved that part just in case. Trashed the pump part though.

We have a toilet plunger rigged up on a piece of pvc with a swivel connecter to hook up the hose. Hold it under/over the intake to rinse it out. Turn on the hose then switch on the washdown for a minute and everything gets rinsed out. It at least makes me feel better when i cant get straight to fresh water for a proper wash down.