Washer fixed, now my truck thermostat is broken (I think)

Thanks all for the feedback on my washer issue a few weeks ago; glad to say that I’m up and running again (If anyone ever needs to borrow the spanner for the bearing nut ,let me know I bought one).

Last night I got home from hunting and the radiator fan to my truck (2017 Chevy colorado, 48k miles) kept running after I shut the motor off. I did some research and looks to be the thermostat (my temp gauge is also not coming up above 160). I’m fairly handy but never messed with automotive engines (I have with boat, trailer, and lately washing machine). I looked on youtube, it seems like a fairly simple replacement…anyone have experience doing this? Any advice would be much appreciated. Also, is it mandatory that I flush/replace antifreeze after? I just did a flush 2 months ago.

Thanks for any help guys.

No need to replace antifreeze. Just capture and reuse.

Which engine in the Colorado?

If the temp is below 160, I doubt it would be calling for the cooling fan to kick on?

Could be a bad sensor?

I’ll check the specs on the engine shortly. From what I’ve read, if the thermostat is “stuck open” then the temp gauge will stay below 160 and the fan will remain on for a period of time following engine shut down.

I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, all seems to be back to normal for now…

1 Like

Still sounds like a sensor?

Couldn’t have been the thermostat, if resetting the ECM fixed the problem.

Good to know, thanks…will research the sensor(s) next!

From what I can gather, your issue is a common one with your Colorado, and diagnostic opinions vary, from the thermostat, or the heat sensor, being the culprit?

I still don’t understand how resetting the ECM can have any effect on the (mechanical) thermostat?

When all else fails, cycle power! :crossed_fingers: It’s like 1/10th of my job man! :wink:

1 Like

My 2018 had a leaking hose fitting at the coolant tank. I had to replace it the plastic t that I could only find at the dealer.