Washer repair?

My top loading washer sounded like a dying animal last night…anyone know of a washer repair guy or have any idea what it might be that i can check for myself?

Can you be more specific on the noises? Is it still washing the clothes?

Not being smartass, but have you looked up your model on youtube? Someone probably has a troubleshooting vid on there.

1 Like

Not a smart ass response at all (even if it was, would’nt bother me : ). I quickly typed that from the deer stand this morning…More details- early in the wash cycle it’s making a loud screeching sound…after it is complete (so yea, it’s still washing clothes) the clothes are still very wet. It’s a GE, looking up on youtube now. Thanks Stump.

Sounds belt/pulley/roller related maybe… You’ve probably already ordered parts by now, lol

Yup! Just ordered replacement bearing and washer… doesn’t look like too difficult of a repair, just a little patience and I should be good. Will report back, likely on Sunday.

There really isn’t too much on a washer or dryer that can’t be fixed unless it is the electronic crap they all have now. I have practically rebuilt most of our dryer. Parts aren’t too bad and there is always someone on YT that has done whatever you need to do.

3 Likes

Google is your friend.

My front loader was having big problems. It was rotating off center and scraping, then would stop. Repair guy said that most likely the spider arm had a crack, a common problem that exactly matched the symptoms I had. Too expensive to repair, buy a new one. The repair guy said that if I was good with tools it is fixable. I’m lucky that the repair guy does over-the-phone diagnosis for free.

He was exactly correct. It’s a 5-6 hour job by an expert. Labor plus $150 in parts = to expensive to repair.

After an internet search to get the parts for $100 and ten hours of labor the machine has been working great for 5 months. Found an on-line tutorial that walked through every step of the project. But … it’s never as easy as those videos show and they always skip some important info.

End result was huge savings by not having to buy a new one just because one part had a crack.

Un fortunately the spider arm attached to the rear of the drum. Removing it requires a complete disassembly of the machine. If one doesn’t take good notes and label every bolt and screw, there will be problems. I had one screw left over. So far no issues.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience Blue. The replacement bearing was 25$, I don’t know what it takes for the repair man to just look at it, but I’m certain it’s more than 25$. Unfortunately to get to the bearing you have to disassemble the entire machine include all wires/motors/motherboard, etc…My wife will be videoing each step to be sure we put it back together correctly!

Yep. Total disassembly. I followed a video but it had missing steps. I wrote down the steps along with the fasteners that came off. Reverse that for reassembly. It was surprising how dirty the drum was and how much detergent scum had accumulated. Repair guy said that was normal. I did this in the laundry room. If I had to do it again I would have m

oved it to a larger space.

1 Like

Man, check you out. That is organized. My kids taught me to use my phone and take photos as I go along. Huge help.

1 Like

Yup, I’m taking pictures every step of the way…we were makong good progress until it was time to remove the hub nut…it takes a special wrench/spanner, no luck at lowes. Any recommendations on where to buy/borrow one? Having a tough time on Amazon even.

Pretty sure Harbor Freight sells a Spanner Wrench.

My neighbor just suggested the same, will check them tomorrow!

For sure, takes pics and it will help for sure.

A bit off here, but had to take some back panels off back of Gladiator shop fridge/freezer. It had several screws, but only two different lengths.

I took that blue paint tape and put a short piece next to short screw holes, then a bit longer piece for the long ones. Helped me out for sure.

Could probably expand that to some of this…

Nice job, bluesky. Great info.

NN

Brilliant… I’ll use that for future projects!

There has been times when I didn’t have the exact size spanner or an adjustable didn’t fit.An extra large set of channel locks or a simple pin punch will usually do the trick. If I remember right,some of those are left hand thread.Good luck , I think they purposely make this new stuff harder to work on nowadays.

O’Reilly’s usually has a Spanner Wrench, in their loaner tool selection, as well.

I will check O’Reily’s as well…Thanks Mixed; and yes Sman- it’s a left hand thread. Hoping to get this done after work today. Thanks for all the input guys, this is what I love about CF.

New vs. old. Note the crack in the old spider arm.

On a front load washer the drum spins at high RPMs and this arm does the work. It’s not an unusual issue.

Also note the build up of detergent. My repair guy says he sees that on every one he takes apart. Use less detergent.