Water Conditions

Anybody give any info on what the water looks like around Dreher? Is it really bad?

It’s as muddy as I have ever seen it near the elbow and really messing up my normal fishing spots. The lake has dropped around 5’ since the 1st of the year. With lots of water being pulled it sounds like the mud line is already well below Billy Dreher. Fogman’s report from Sunday said the mud was down to the mouth of Johns creek and that’s quite a way down from Billy Dreher. Have you considered trying Monticello for the perch? That lake is full of white perch.

Spoonmaster we are headed to camp somewhere this weekend and we were thinking about Murray for a perch jerk and some trolling for stripers. Fog said it shouldn’t mess the fishing up but just find some cleaner water off the channel. Still unsure as to where to go. Do the Monty perch have any size to them?

I saw your other post on the striper site. I’m thinking the water will be way too muddy near the twin islands to be productive for perch. The lake has been pulled down around 5’ in the past 12 days which will pull the mud line way down even from where it was on Sunday. Fog said it was muddy to the mouth of Johns creek and that’s already a mile or two past the twin islands. Also they’re calling for a lot of wind Saturday and Sunday which will make the lake really rough. Fog said the waves were around 5’ last Sunday in that area of the lake.
I’m planning to maybe try Murray on Monday, depending on how windy it gets. If home management doesn’t have other plans for me I’m thinking Monday afternoon should be great. In winter the perch bite is usually a lot better in the afternoon on sunny days. I plan to be fishing the points and humps nearer the dam which is where the clearest water should be. If the water is dingy Fog is absolutely correct about trying the chartreuse spoons and/or minnows. If the water is clear the white 1/2 ounce Berry spoons with silver reflectors are hard to beat for perch. We have been catching perch between 31’ and 46’ for the past several weeks. Look for schools of bait and/or fish near the bottom and drop the spoons straight down to them.
I don’t know of any camping sites on Monticello, but the perch fishing is usually very good over there. I even caught some perch on a big 3 1/2 ounce spoon during a largemouth tournament recently. If you go to Monticello launch from the upper landing, it’s in a protected location. The side landing gets waves like the ocean when it’s windy. Target the west side of the lake which is normally the protected side since the wind is usually from the west. There are several long points on that side which usually have perch on them. They may be as deep as 60’ or even deeper. I usually start at around 35’ and work deeper until I find them. On the west side there are also some long deep coves that may have a lot of perch in them. Don’t be surprised if you hook a gi

Thanks for the info. It is greatly appreciated. “Home management”. I know what you’re talking about. I’m stealing that one from you.

Spoonmaster;
the upper landing on Monticello is used by campers all the time. lots
of folks pitch tents between the parking lot and boat ramp, also around the old ramp site too, probably having a rest room facility there is the reason, also a lot of camping done on the larger islands.
just sayin!!!:smiley:

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Thanks for the info. I usually only get to Monticello once or twice a year. I like that lake a lot for catfish, bass and perch.

I’m camping in a water front site this weekend at Dreher Island State Park. I’ve never been here before and was thinking of trying my luck from the shore of the campsite. Any recommendations for bait, hook size? What seems to be biting these day? Thanks!